The Sharing Of Breath

16TH OF JULY

Tane

I'm up as soon as the Sun rises. I dress up with some caqui pants and a plain black tee, grab a hoodie and head over to the lounge. I try not to make much noise so I don't wake anybody, though I'm half expecting to see Sam on the couch already reading her book.

To my disappointment, she's not there. But I spot her book on the table, and I grab it while I sit down on the couch and run my fingers through the cover.

I'm flicking through the pages, letting the smell of the paper dance in the room, when I notice the writing on the edges and the lines under the text. I look again, and stop at a page with what I guess is Sam's handwriting on the margin.

The quote she marked says, 'The thing is, when you lose someone, you realize you'll eventually lose everyone.' And in a neat handwriting in blue ink next to it I read a single word, 'Dad'. Underneath, in a messier writing and black ink, it says, 'Not me, never.'

Curiosity sparks up inside of me, and I look through the pages until I find another underlined quote. 'You never find answers, just new and deeper questions,' and next to it, I read, 'Will I find any answers in NZ? Or only more questions?' This time, it's written with a pencil.

This really makes me curious, what is she looking for? And more importantly... What if she's the one I'm looking for? I decide one more quote won't hurt, and I find one that really catches my eye straight away as there's multiple drawings of spirals next to it. My heart stops for a moment as I read.

'Spirals grow infinitely small the farther you follow them inwards, but they also grow infinitely large the farther you follow them out.'

I read it again, and again. My heart is racing in my chest, and I've got this feeling like there's something I'm missing. I reach into my back pocket and grab the little piece of paper folded in it. I unfold it slowly, and I stare at the yellowish scrap of paper without really reading it. I don't need to.

'Succeed in the quest

and return to your keen.

Follow the spiral,

it's closer than it seems.'

✢✢✢

Samantha

Tired but feeling light as a feather and grateful as I've ever been, I sit down on the beach towel. Being up early and enjoying some yoga on the beach was definitely the best way to start my day. I put on my hoodie and hug my knees as the wind hits me and makes me tremble a little. The Sun is fully out now, and it seems like it will be a lovely day despite the cold.

I just sit here, enjoying the view of the sea, and secretly waiting. Waiting to see if he'll remember, if he'll come over to check on me. Em's words from last night still make my heart skip a beat when I think about it.

Why am I so excited about this guy being interested in me, anyways? I mean, I barely know him. We've barely talked... but there's just something about him that makes me feel so compelled towards him. And what does being interested even mean? I'm only here for a few weeks, not like he's going to be the man of my life.

The wind roars in my ears, and I pull the hood over my head. The minutes tick, my hands getting colder and colder. Why am I even here? This is silly, I feel like a school girl all over again. I take one last breath, and decide I better head back in to have a shower.

"Morena," Tane says right behind my shoulder as I'm about to stand up.

Trying not to jump up, I half turn to face him. He's crouching behind me, and all of my resolution and my 'I don't care about this guy' is carried away by the wind as I look at his plum lips and his seductively twisted smile.