Plans Don't Always Work Out

11TH OF JULY

Samantha

I grab my handbag from the overhead compartment, hang it over a shoulder and rub the sleep off my eyes.

"Halfway there, bitch!" I say as I nudge Em in the shoulder. My voice sounds rough after so many hours of terrible sleep on the plane.

"I've heard Dubai's airport is amazing, I wish we had a longer layover here!" Em's voice sounds as sweet as ever, and while I feel like I've been run over by a train after the long flight, Em still looks amazing. Her ivory skin is flawless, even though she's not even wearing any make up.

The queue starts moving slowly, and we advance through the airplane's aisle. I'm dragging my feet a bit, my whole body sore and numb at the same time.

"Oh, damn." The words escape my lips before I can even think about it.

"What's wrong?" Em looks at me with worry in her eyes. "Did you forget something?"

"No, that guy is stationed at the end of this aisle" I say as I try to hide behind the tall guy in front of me.

"Lucas, the guy from the boarding desk?" Emma asks as she stretches her neck and looks over. The queue stops, a few ladies ahead hauling their luggage from the overhead compartments. "I thought you liked him," adds Em in a sarcastic tone, and then she winks at me.

"Oh, don't get me started! It was all your fault!" I laugh a bit despite the anger, and take a deep breath.

When we were boarding the plane, Emma decided it would be a really funny idea to make me flirt with the guy from the desk. Let's just say, I couldn't do it, and it was embarrassing, but to make it worse, he was actually the one looking after us on the plane.

"A couple of hours ago," I tell her, "He was the one who came over to do the meal service, you know? And I was asleep, and I'm pretty sure I was snoring... and he tapped my shoulder," I look back at Em and see that she's already kind of laughing, biting her lip not to make it too obvious, so I finish the story talking as fast as I can.

"And I said 'yes mum, I'm going'. And then I actually opened my eyes, and realised I was on a plane, with that guy staring down at me... and I had just called him mum. I don't want him to see me ever again! This is so embarrassing!"

"Oh, I can't believe I missed that!" Em cracks up laughing then, and I look to the front, too scared that Lucas is going to hear her laughter and look our way. I cover Em's mouth with a hand and beg her to shut up.

"Okay, I got a plan." she whispers as she pushes my hand down, grabs me by the wrist and pulls me over and between the seats in the middle, making it all the way to the opposite aisle.

Then she opens up her bag, and takes out a scarf.

✢✢✢

"Oh my," I say as I press a hand to my mouth trying not to laugh. "I can't believe we actually did this! What a silly idea this was!" I add as I look at Emma over through the mirror.

Em looks at me with forged pain in her eyes. "Hey! You were the one that was too scared to face Lucas!, I think my idea was fantastic, and he didn't recognise you after all."

"Yeah, cause he couldn't even see me!"

I laugh at my reflection again. My head is wrapped up in a bright turquoise scarf as if it was a hijab, a couple of short strands of hair poking out after we ran to the toilets all the way from the gate. I take the scarf off and hand it back to Em, then pull my toothbrush out of my handbag and quickly brush my teeth.