A Starfilled Night

21ST Of JULY

Emma

I’m pacing back and forth as I try to figure out what to say to Sam when she finally shows up. She was so rude to me, I have never heard Sam speak like that to anybody, least me. The anger is bubbling inside of me making me clench my fists by my sides. No one talks to me like that, not even my damned best friend. She has no idea what she was talking about. Yes, I might not be the lovebird she is, but that doesn’t mean I don’t try, I just have this terrible bad luck and alway pick dumbasses as guys to be interested in.

I can feel Rongo’s eyes on me as he lays back in the front seat, but he doesn’t say a thing. He hasn’t said a word since he asked me what was wrong and I gave him a little piece of my mind. As I turn around towards the street for what might be the thousandth time, I see Sam’s lilac hair dancing in the wind as she walks towards me.

“You,” I say, my voice a little louder than I intend.

Sam’s eyes shoot up, and I see the tears running freely down her cheeks. All the words get stuck in my throat as I run towards her and grab her by the shoulders. “What’s wrong? What happened?”

My best friend’s arms wrap around my neck so hard that I feel I might break. “I’m so sorry Em, I was so stupid, I never meant a single words of what I said.” Sam’s shoulders are shaking as she sobs loudly, and I see Rongo slowly get out of the car and stand against the open door. “I’m so sorry, I’m the worst friend in the world and I get it if you never want to talk to me again, I am so, so sorry.”

“Okay, okay, everything’s okay,” I pat my friend in the shoulder and wait for her sobs to calm down a little. “I have already forgiven you anyways, everything’s good.”

Sam lets go of me and takes a step back, wiping the tears of her face with the back of her sleeve. “Do you really forgive me?”

“Please, you need to do more than yelling a few rude words my way for me to be mad at you.”

“You looked pretty mad a minute ago.”

“Well, yeah, I was about to say a whole lot of untrue and rude words I would have probably regretted as soon as they were out. But seeing you all moppy, I just couldn’t let them out.” I shrug profusely, and I hear Rongo chuckle behind my back. 

Sam squares her shoulders and lifts her chin up. “I can take it,” she points to her own chest with a finger, her chin going higher. “Come on, give it to me, I deserve it.”

I cross my arms over my chest, looking at her through furrowed brows for a second before I crack up laughing. “You are adorable. Now, come on, we have to go and try to save the world.”

Sam looks at me with her mouth slightly opened, and then hugs me again, her head resting against my shoulder for a moment. “I don’t deserve you.” Her words are such a tiny whisper, I barely hear them, and I pretend I don’t, because I know that's what she’d want me to do.

“Come on,” I hug her back as tight as I can before letting go all of a sudden. “We should hit the road before it gets too dark.”

“You’re right,” Sam smiles a little timid smile as she looks at Rongo, who’s holding the door open for us. “There’s so much I need to tell you both.”

✢✢✢

Tane

“I’ve told you, she won’t come.”

Hine glares at me, her dark eyes sucking up all the light from the stars shining around us. “She’s already on her way, daddy.” She spits the last words as a curse, and I feel the world crumbling.