Cloudy With A Chance Of Romance

15TH OF JULY

Tane

The road twists and turns in front of us as I drive through green hills heading inland, leaving the views of the sea behind, even if just for a moment. We’ve been in silence for a while, Sam being really quiet since we left the house.

“Are you always up early?” I ask after a while, not knowing what else to say to spark up some conversation.

Sam’s head turns my way and I can feel her eyes on me, but I keep mine on the road, not wanting her to look back down.

“Mostly, yes,” she says after what feels like forever.

“Nice,” I reply, “I didn’t see you up when I headed to the bathroom, I would have let you have the first shower if I did,” I add with a smile. I almost regret it straight away, that sounded silly.

“I was out on the beach, so it’s okay.”
There's so little emotion in her voice. I wonder what I’m doing wrong to be on the bad side of this girl’s temper.

“Did you catch the sunrise?” I say, trying to sound excited.

“I did, actually.” I can see a smile spreading on her lips at the memory, so I guess at least it must have been a good one.

I have no idea what else I can say to keep this conversation going. Dealing with teenagers is not what I’m used to, and I’m pretty sure Sam doesn’t fit into the mold of a standard teen anyways. I don’t even think I should call her a teen either, I know she’s 20 years old, but it seems like the same thing to me. She's just so young.

Her head is turned back towards the window, her forehead resting against the glass as we turn a corner and drive towards the beach again. I’ve been driving for about half an hour through a road that keeps heading inland and then back towards the shore, driving past beach after beach on our way to Cathedral Cove, the place that Sam planned to visit today.

“There’s a nice looking beach up ahead,” I finally say. “Would you like to stop over?”

“Sure thing,” she says, not even turning to look at me.

✢✢✢
Samantha

After stopping at a few gorgeous beaches, we finally make it to Cathedral Cove’s car park. I can’t contain my excitement, so I rush out of the car and run towards the start of the track. I’m gutted that Em is not here to share the experience, but I’ll make sure to take plenty of photos to show her. We have an hour walk through the bush until we get to the actual Cove, and I feel a bit uncomfortable thinking about how to act around Tane.

After a few minutes walking, I realise I’m exhausted. Last night might have been harder on my body than I expected, as I’m usually pretty fit. The feeling of nature around me is something that I’m finding invigorating though, the wind dancing around me and sending my hair flying in all directions, the sun kissing my skin and keeping me warm despite the cold.

Funny how I thought cities were my thing, ‘cause I’m having so many doubts about it now.

I look over my shoulder to Tane, who’s walking behind me. He looks as fresh as when we started the trail, his hair is all messed up by the wind too, but he’s got a huge smile, like he’s highly enjoying himself. He doesn’t even look tired.

“We can rest if you need to,” he says with a smirk.

“I’m good,” I mutter. I keep going, pushing my legs to move forwards despite the burning sensation in my thighs.