Is This Love? Baby, Don't Hurt Me

19TH OF JULY

Emma

I'm trying to recap on the events of the last couple of days and mostly the last few hours, and the truth is, I'm struggling to keep up.

The dude we've been traveling with turned out to be a God, not only that, but he saved my best friend's life when she was only a child. Say, what?!

To make it all a bit more weird, his brother standing awkwardly in the corner of the room at the moment, is also a God. While Tane claims to be the Lord of the forest, keeper of birds and I don't know what other crap, Rongo has said he is the God of peace. He is a mediator and peacemaker, and as if that wasn't odd enough, he was the one to preside over his brother's trial. The one where his brothers decided to turn Tane into a human, strip him of most of his power, and while at it, steal some of his memories so he wouldn't know at first who Sam was.

Right, that would make a pretty good plot for a movie. At least it explains why these two guys are out-of-this-world-hot. Cliché, I know, but I can't picture a God that's not good looking. I guess at least stories got that little bit right.

Only because things can always get weirder, Tane explained that the reason why shit when tits in the woods, was because the Gods were trying to test Sam, so she would prove she was worthy of the fact that Tane saved her life... When she was barely a child! For fucks sake, Gods are fucked in the head.

Apparently, the one that had the idea was their brother Tu, God of war. Go figure, that was the only bit in this bucketload of craziness that didn't surprise me. Men are always so damn violent. If I remember correctly, he's the same one that suggested killing their parents in the story... I wonder if that part is also true.

Fuck, I wish I could give that Tu a piece of my mind.

"So, one thing I don't understand," I say after being in silence for a while listening to them talk while Sam and Tane stood awkwardly close together the whole time. "You said this other brother of yours.. Taw.. Something, he was the one to warn Sam and try to help her remember, right? Hence why she was having all those weird flashbacks?"

"Yes, Tawhiri," both Tane and Rongo say at the same time.

"And he's the God of weather, the one that causes storms and thunder?" I ask.

"He's the one I saw in the sky on the plane, and then in the woods," Sam says, and I still can't believe she's being so chill about all this weird shit that's going on.

"The one who tried to kill you!" I yell, completely losing my shit. Tane takes a step back, but Rongo takes a step forward, towards me.

"He warned us because he didn't want to do it," Tane explains.

"Maybe we can go for a walk?" Rongo asks dubiously almost at the same time, offering me a hand. "Maybe we should leave Tane and Sam to talk about what happened?"

"Talk about-" My insides feel mushy, and a sense of calm washes over me.
I should go for a walk with Rongo.
"Stop doing that!" I yell at Rongo as soon as I realise what he's up to. Tane explained how they can manipulate our feelings and memories, because that's how he managed to make Sam forget about what happened in the woods back then; how he made her forget they'd ever met, how the God of the weather (Tahiti?) tried to return her memories. He said Sam completely forgetting about who her father was, was collateral damage. Pff, more bullshit.

I don't know how I can tell that's what Rongo's doing to me, but the invasion of my personal self makes me feel even more outraged. I can see the guilt in his eyes as I pierce him with a death-stare.