One Day In My Life

PART 1

Forest floor

The first layer of the forest

is obscure and is damp,

as little sunlight manages

to make it to the ground.

The small living creatures,

that in the forest floor reside,

are oblivious to the world

that flourishes all around.

*One day in my life*

Samantha

The alarm goes off and I'm up in a second.

I start my morning routine by pulling the curtains open and getting to my feet. I stretch my arms over my head for a moment, and then lie on the floor and do 10 push ups. Afterwards, I stretch my back and shoulders going into a child's pose.

Now that my brain's awake, I grab the clothes that are already prepared on top of the dresser, and head to the bathroom.

I check the time on my watch: 6:05 am.

I splash some cold water over my face and stare into the mirror for a moment. Bright green eyes stare back at me. My shoulder length lilac hair looks messy and curly, so I brush it gently for a few moments, and then tie it up in a little ponytail.

I brush my teeth and quickly put on a black pair of leggings, a simple sports bra and a loose tank top. Heading towards the room again, I grab the yoga-mat from under the bed and get ready for my morning session. My watch reads 6:15 am.

After 45 minutes of flow-yoga, I take an extra ten minutes to sit down cross legged and meditate to the sound of tibetian bowls. I breathe in through the nose, and out through the mouth, set my intentions for the day and express my gratitudes.

"I am grateful for my mother, that always puts my well being before anything else. I am grateful for having a roof over my head, a career path in front of me and for-"

I stop right on my tracks. No, I'm not grateful for Brad anymore, why does he keep poking in my head? I should stop thinking about him altogether, it's already been 6 months.

I need to get myself together.

Annoyed, I get up and turn the music off and head over to the bathroom once more. I take a quick shower, grab the second set of clothes sitting on top of my dresser, get changed, and head to the kitchen to enjoy some breakfast.

My phone pings and I see I have a few messages from last night, so I start looking through them while I munch on some organic cereal with almond milk. The phone marks 7:24 am

There's a message from Emma, which was sent at 2:20 am.

Em: Hey, I've been meaning to text you for such a long time! What have you been up to? We haven't talked in like... 2 days!!

The message ends with a heap of emojis of T-rexes. I laugh out loud at the long-lost inside joke, almost spitting out my cereal, and text my best friend back.

Sam: Hey! That's a terribly long time! I've missed you too! Just been buried under tons of papers I need to write for uni, and books, so many books to read! I have a lot of mid-term exams coming up in the next few days, but we need to catch up soon!