Welcome To Dubai

11TH OF JULY
Emma

I’m woken suddenly by unexpected yelping and a whole lot of confusion as I try to figure out where I am and what day it is. 

"Come on, come on, come on!" cries Sam in an excited voice next to me, "get up!" 

I pull the covers closer to my eyes and moan. 

"Can't I sleep for a little bit longer?" I complain.

"Not at all! I've been up for two hours already, making sure our itinerary still makes sense and all!” Oh, right-o, we’re on holidays! Wake up brain! “And I already researched Dubai and I have enough information to declare what our best plan of action will be." Sam pulls the covers off and nudges me in the shoulder. "Come on," she adds, "Get up, get changed, and I'll see you downstairs for breakfast as soon as you're ready."

With that, she walks out of the room.

Hot damn, was that my shy cute friend giving me an ultimatum or something? I rub my eyes and sit up slowly, my brain still a little foggy. We’ve actually made it. We are in Dubai, and we have the whole day to explore this amazing place before we need to head back out to the airport.

Excitement runs through my veins, so I get up and dash to the bathroom to brush my teeth and apply a tiny bit of makeup. I check my smartwatch, a little shred of hope flickering all the way down in my chest. But no, there’s no messages from father. Go figure. I look into the mirror, and shrug at my reflexion. 

“Fuck it,” I say to the girl looking back at me, “Who cares?” 

I’m going to have one epic day with my friend, and nothing’s stopping me from having the time of my life.

✢✢✢

Samantha

As I fill up a plate with a piece of wholegrain toast, some cereal, and a whole lot of fruit, I can’t help but smile. The trip might have not started the way I expected, but being right here, in the middle of an exotic country that I never even imagined I'd see, I can’t help but feel the thrill of everything I’m about to experience. I have to admit, I actually like this feeling. 

I was up so early, right after the clock hit 6 am, and it was a little nerve wracking but still somehow electrifying to walk around the hotel that early, lurking around the silent corridors until I found the gym. I had one of the best yoga sessions I’ve had in a long time, even if it was really hard to let my mind settle at first. But something clicked while I was meditating this morning, and it was like a little voice in my head telling me to let go, that things would be okay.

I mindlessly take a hold of the greenstone that’s been hiding under my top since we left Argentina, and I run a thumb through the spiral. 

I’m on my way, dad.

“Morning, my Sky!” says Em in a bright voice as she approaches me.

“Finally up, Moony? That was pretty quick for you,” I reply.

“Well, I imagine there’s a whole lot to see, and not too much time when you’ll probably want to be back at the airport at least 3 hours before the flight.”

I can’t help but laugh.

“At least,” I repeat with a chuckle. “You know me too well.” I pat Em on the shoulder as I walk towards our table. “Grab some brekkie and I’ll explain all of it when we’re sitting down,” I add over my shoulder.

Em sits in front of me just a moment later, a plate full of bacon, scrambled eggs, and two pieces of toast with grilled mushrooms and tomatoes on top. How she can eat so much and never put on weight is a mystery that eludes me.