Saturday Night's Shennanigans

3 DAYS LATER
Emma

As I walk into Constellations, the new nightclub that opened up only a few weeks ago, I feel proud of my choice straight away. The atmosphere is contagious, there's people moving around to the rhythm of the music on the dance floor, colorful lights all over the place, which is still pretty dark and mysterious looking, and there's a big stage on the opposite side... that's still empty.

"Thank God!" I think out loud, I'm not late enough to miss the start of the show. I check my smartwatch, which reads twenty past eight. Not too bad.

I look over to the booth seats arranged around the stage, and it only takes me a moment to find Sam's lilac hair poking from behind one of them. She looks a bit awkward sitting there, her head is tilted down and it looks like her eyes are concentrating on something on her lap. I hope it's not what I'm thinking.

That's it, I head over to the bar: Sam needs a drink.

"Hello there!" I say to the gorgeous bartender standing in front of me. He's got short spiky black hair, with eyes equally dark and he's showing his white teeth in a cute little half smile.

"What can I get you, darlin'?" His voice is deep and he sounds as sexy as he looks. I flash him my biggest smile and point with my head to the booth where Sam is sitting.

"Right, so, my friend and I are looking to have some fun tonight, could I open up a tab?" That's partly true, but partly a lie. I'm really looking forward to a good night with my best friend, but I'm also looking for a distraction.

"Sure thing sweetheart! I'll just need your card and some ID."

I grab the Amex out of my wallet and hand it over to him, making sure our fingers touch ever so slightly when he grabs it.

"Are you gonna be a part of the show tonight?," I ask with a cheeky smile and a wink as I sweep a curl of my hair back over my shoulder.

This guy could perfectly well be the distraction I'm after.

"Not tonight, I'm only bartending."

His mirrored cheeky smile surprises me by sending shivers down my spine. What's wrong with me? It's been a while since a guy got me feeling like this so soon.

"Oh, bugger!" I say brushing it off. "Well, I guess I'll see you again when you bring our drinks over then." I start playing with a curl of my hair, twirling it over a finger. "And by the way, I didn't catch your name," I let the words float in the air making them sound like a question.

"It's Miguel," he replies while handing me over a drink list, "but most people around here call me Mike."

I stifle a laugh at the cheesiness of it all, and quickly glance through the drink list. It's an easy choice, I already know what I'm after.

"We'll have two margaritas, one with extra salt."

"Sure, I'll bring them over in just a minute... Emma." He says after looking at the name on my ID.

"Thank you, Miguel," I reply with a cheeky but cute smile, trying to go against the grain as usual. As soon as I say it though, I realise I really like the way his name sounds when it rolls out of my tongue.

✢✢✢

Samantha

'We were looking at the same sky together, which is maybe more intimate than eye contact anyway. Anybody can look at you. It's quite rare to find someone who sees the same world you see'.