An Unexpected Gift

8TH OF JULY

Samantha

It’s late at night, and I find myself seated in bed, unable to stop looking at the itinerary over and over again. 

It’s probably the twelfth time I’m reading it today. I look at the printed piece of paper, and as I read each line, the nerves make my stomach twist a little which then mixes with the excitement for the adventures to come.

-New Zealand’s itinerary for Winter Break-

09th: Fly out at midday (19,5 hs flight!!)

10th: Stop over in Dubai at night.

11th:  (Flying to Auckland - Another 19 hs!)

12th: Arrive in Auckland early morning. Explore the city. Pick up rental car.

13th: Drive over to the Coromandel Peninsula.

14th: Enjoy Coromandel. Visit Cathedral Cove.

15th: Drive to Rotorua, stopping in Hobbiton.

16th: Rotorua: Wai-O-Tapu and Whakarewarewa village.

17th: Rotorua: Redwoods and lakes.

18th: Tongariro Alpine Crossing.

19th: Drive to Wellington.

20th: Ferry to Picton, and drive to Nelson.

21th: Hike the Abel Tasman in Nelson 

22th: Drive over to Christchurch. Stop over in Kaikoura.

23st: Christchurch: Visit dad’s resting place. Get to know the city 

24nd: Trip to Tekapo. Thermal springs and stargazing. 

25rd: Back to Christchurch. 

26th: Fly back home

I’m about to read the next page, where there’s a detailed itinerary for day one of the trip. I have one full page for each day, including places to visit, where we’re going to stay for the night, and other details I thought necessary. As soon as I turn the page over, there’s a soft knock on the door. 

“Yes mum, come in,” I say as I put the paper back into it’s cardboard folder, then shuffle it inside my handbag, almost glad to have an excuse to stop obsessing over these pages. I accommodate the handbag on top of my suitcase, which has been ready and sealed for the past 24 hours. 

It’s been an effort not to open it again and check that I’ve got everything. The last few weeks have been so busy, that having to pack was probably an extra stressful task I didn’t need in my life. I’m glad mum has so much experience with it, as she was really helpful, giving me lists of things I needed to pack and everything.

Mum traipses into the room, and approaches me slowly. She looks cautious, and that makes me go into alert mode. More bad news? Can’t be. 

She takes a seat on the bed by my side, and that’s when I notice she’s holding a little fabric bag in her hands. It’s like one of those typically used for storing jewelry, and I can’t help but wonder what’s in it. Mum looks up at me, and there’s a shy smile on her lips. This is kind of weirding me out a little.

“Are you ready for tomorrow?” she asks.

“I think I’m as ready as I can be,” I reply, “I’m obviously still nervous, but knowing Emma’s gonna be there with me is really comforting.”