Uru's realm of dreams and nightmares

22ND OF JULY

Samantha

Sundown comes too fast, and by the time we are driving over to the observatory, I don't feel nearly prepared for what I'm about to go through.

"Hey," Emma clasps a hand over my knee, which I've been bouncing up and down for the whole drive up Mount John. The observatory has been closed all day due to bad weather, which I'm not even surprised about. As we drive up, the road is clear as if someone's pushed all the snow to the sides of the road. I try not to think about it, I try not to think about any of it as Em's hand helps me settle into right here and now. "You know, it's no big deal." There's an edge of nervousness on Em's voice, even if she's trying to hide it. "You're only about to save the world, easy, you've got this." She smiles broadly as she looks at me quickly, and then her eyes are back on the road.

We park at the top and get out of the car, the wind hitting us with full strength. Emma and Rongo join me and walk one on each flank as we approach the nearest dome-looking building.

"Is this the one?"

Rongo looks at me and nods once, his expression as serious as I've ever seen it. Em's hair is furiously wrapped around her middle finger as she smiles, the warmth not reaching her eyes.

"I'm ready," I say, even if I don't feel like it. "It will all be okay." I don't know if I'm reassuring her or myself.

Em jumps forward and squeezes me on a tight hug, and when she lets go, she just looks intently into my eyes, her lips in a thin tight line. We don't say a word; we don't need to. We agreed this is not a goodbye, but an 'I'll see you later' and I think we both rather not think about what's about to happen. I told Emma the plan before coming over, but I purposely avoided all the tiny details on which... I just don't know if my plan is going to work. There's still one thing that might make it or break it.

Emma squeezes my hands one last time before I turn over and look at Rongo.

"May I?" A small smile tugs at my lips as I look up at him, and he nods.

I wrap my arms tightly around him, hugging this guy I've barely known for a matter of days but I have learned to love like the brother I never had. I hug him for what I know will probably be the last time, and I have to blink fast not to let the tears cloud my eyes. "Thank you," I whisper into his hair. "I will never forget you."

He squeezes me tighter, lifting my feet off the ground for a second as his lips brush my ear. "I believe in you, Sam."

As he lets go, I look up, blinking the tears away and not letting them out. A sense of peace fills me up as I take one last deep breath and I let Rongo's energy engulf me like a warm blanket.

"A parting gift," he says softly, making sure Emma can't hear him. I glance at Em, and Rongo nods, knowing I expect him to be looking after my best friend until the last possible second.

Before I can change my mind, I close my fist around the Koru hanging from my neck with my right hand, and open the door to the observatory with the left. Rongo and Emma take a step back as the door opens to reveal the most impressive blackness I have ever seen. Far into the distance, I glimpse a spot of light, and without looking back, I step in and let the darkness take me for the last time.

✢✢✢

Tane

The moment the Sun sets over the horizon, the darkness that was surrounding me starts to drip back onto the world below, allowing the light to sip back into this realm. If it wasn't because of what this entitles, I'd believe this to be a beautiful thing to witness; the way the stars slowly rain down, making their way to the Earth's sky, leaving behind a trail of stardust that is soon replaced by dripping sunlight.