A Stressful Kind Of Day

5 DAYS LATER

Samantha

I walk into the zoology lab on the third floor while buttoning up my lab coat, my fingers fidgeting a little to try and calm my nerves. 

Today’s practical lesson has got me on edge all week. I knew this time would come since the start of the term when I got the class’ curriculum, but I tried not to think about it. At all. 

I didn't really expect for it to affect me so badly, or maybe I didn't realize it already had, until I woke up this morning with beads of sweat on my forehead after a weird nightmare. 

I walk around the tall work tables and find my usual spot next to Nico. I grab a seat on the stool, almost knocking it over as I do.

“Morning Sam, how are you doing?” 

Nico's smile always gives me fuzzy feelings. Even when I was still with Brad, I would sometimes look at Nico and just feel like asking a thousand questions. He just seems like such an interesting person, with so much depth hidden behind his shy hazel eyes. But I never dared ask much, so even after knowing each other for over two years, I actually don’t know a whole lot about him.

"Not too bad," I say with feigned nonchalance.

Nico turns around and faces me fully, his eyes darting around like he's analysing my face. I blush, and for once in my life, I’m overly grateful for my bronze skin that hides the burning in my cheeks. 

"Why are you looking at me like that?" I ask before the moment can become too uncomfortable. 

"Oh, sorry. You just don't look like yourself today, and I was wondering what looks different... I think your lips are a bit pale.” He says as he scratches his chin. “Do you want me to go grab you a drink or something? There's still a good 15 minutes until the class starts, I can run down to the cafeteria for you." 

He sounds a little nervous, his voice shaky, but I don’t think much of it, he always sounds like that. 

It makes me feel a little bit self-conscious being looked over this way, but at the same time, it warms me up on the inside. Nico's got such a kind soul, and he always notices when I’m not at my best. He was the only one that realized something was wrong when I broke up with Brad. 

So I smile widely, feeling grateful. 

"It's okay, I'm fine. But thank you!" 

With that, Nico gets back to reading his textbook, and I start getting my belongings sorted on top of the work bench. I get my notebook out, line up a few pens on top of it, and then open up my own book and lean over to start reading. 

I only manage to read the title and a bunch of words that don't make it all the way to my brain before I completely space out. I’ve been so distracted the last few days, weird ideas clouding my mind. 

What am I even doing with my life? 

Rambling contemplation pushes my mind one way and the other for a few minutes: I’ve been studying day and night for over two years to get this title, which has been the only priority in my mind. So I can’t understand why I’m having second thoughts all of a sudden. Or maybe I've always had these thoughts, but I kept them to the back of my mind instead of listening to them. I take a deep breath, trying not to sigh too loudly as the air hisses out. 

I always thought this was what I wanted; a normal and simple life, just what mum always told me to strive for. It’s like it was so drilled in my brain that I couldn’t think of any alternatives. But since breaking up with Brad, something started growing slowly inside of my mind: new ideas taking shape.