Where It All Started

21ST OF JULY

Emma

The horizon keeps moving up and down and my stomach churns every time it does... With every wave, every movement, every bounce.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Sam asks for the millionth time.

We’re both sitting on a booth in the cafeteria of the ferry, looking out the window. To the sea that moves, to the horizon that bounces, to the waves… Holly shit, I need to stop thinking about bouncing things. I turn around and look at the buffet a few feet away, trying to find something that’s not moving, but instead, I feel like I’m the one moving. 

I guess that’s because I am. 

“Not really,” I finally admit.

“I didn’t know you got seasick.”

“Me neither, I don’t actually think I’ve ever been on such a big boat before, all my travels have been by land or air,” I say, and then I press a hand against my stomach and close my eyes.

“Come,” Sam says, and I see her extend a hand towards me as I open my eyes. “I have an idea.”

We grab our bags from under the table and walk together towards the exit. Sam walks me over a hallway, a set of stairs and then leads me out a door which leads to the rooftop. There are four rows of seats in the middle, but there’s no one out here. I guess the cold weather doesn’t make people feel like enjoying the outdoors. 

We walk over to the side and lean over the handrail, looking out to the sea. The fresh air hits me hard on the face and makes the nausea recede a little, which I'm fucking stoked for. The landscape is fantastic, and the wind hitting my face makes me feel alive. The adrenaline rushes through my veins as I look down to the water crashing against the skull of the ship.

“Better?”

I look up at Sam, at her crazy orange and blond hair whipping about in the wind, and I have to stifle a laugh.

“Yeah, way better, thanks. How did you know the fresh air would work?”

“I used to get car sick when I was little, opening the window was my way of coping,” she says with a shrug, like it’s no big deal.

I stay there for a while, and I hear Sam chuckle softly as she moves to stand behind me.

“Trust me,” she says in a teasing tone. “Close your eyes.”

I can’t help but giggle while I close my eyes, and I feel Sam grabbing onto my wrists and opening my arms to the sides.

“Now open your eyes,” she whispers, and I can almost hear the laughter in her voice.

“I’m flying, Jack!” I squeal happily, and then I find myself doubling over in laughter, Sam shows back at my side, laughing out loud. “You’re such a dork,” I say as I wipe the tears from my eyes.

“I thought you’d be the one to do it, but considering you didn’t, I just had to,” Sam says as she leans over the rail again.

We both look out into the sea for another while, enjoying the noises of nature, the wind rushing between us, the green mountains far away in the distance. We only have five full days left on this side of the world, and I still can’t believe time has gone by so quickly. I feel like everything’s gone by in a blurr, like we only just arrived yesterday and the days have flown away and I can barely remember what we got up to on the first few days.

“Are you ready for Christchurch?” I say as the pier finally shows up on the horizon.

Sam’s eyes are fixed on a random spot in the distance as she talks.