War of Hearts

22ND OF JULY

Emma

Sam's been gone only for a few minutes, and I've been watching the sky in silence, with Rongo by my side. I don't want to admit how nervous I am, but I have never been this scared in my life. Not being able to be by Sam's side is killing me, and my hair is all greasy from how much I've been nervously playing with it.

I think I see a shooting star, and I concentrate my eyes on the darkened sky. As I see a second star shooting down, Rongo stirs by my side.

"I think it's time for me to go." He stands up slowly, and I follow his movement.

"That's okay... I can wait on my own."

"I'm so sorry Em, I wish I could stay, but I can't risk getting stuck in this realm."

I hate goodbyes.

"That's fine big guy, I will see you around some time." I pat him on the shoulder a bit awkwardly, and turn around, sitting down on the grass with my legs crossed and looking back up at the sky.

"See you around, Emma."

I'm aware of the silence around me, and I wait to hear receding footsteps, but the only sound is that of the crickets in the distance. I feel at peace in this silence though, I know Sam will make it, I know it doesn't matter what's going on up there, my friend is the strongest person I have ever known and she will get through anything those Gods throw her way. I'm at peace, because I know everything will be okay.

Feeling a tingling sensation in the back of my neck, I turn around, but there's no one there. Rongo is gone.

I'm alone, but the peaceful feeling is still within me.

"Thank you, big guy."

✢✢✢

Tane

Sam's arms are still stretched to the sides, her eyes pressed closed as the energy ripples around her once more and then dissipates. Ru's magic is all about emotions, it taps on what he feels, and he can make the world shake or a volcano erupt just with mere feelings. Anger, sadness, frustration. I can feel all of those emotions leaving Sam as the power runs out, the power she could have used to destroy the pounamu.

Hine claps slowly, a smug smile on her face. "Great party trick, darling, but it seems like you lost your bargaining chip."

The Koru is dangling in front of my face, a faint glow still surrounding it as it's magic resonates with the amount of power inside this realm. Tu is blinking repeatedly, his furious expression returning to his face.

"What the fuck was that?"

Sam's eyes snap open at the same time as Tu gets to her and wraps one of his huge hands around her small and delicate neck.

"NO, leave her alone!"

Sam gasps for air as Tu squeezes tighter, and I see red dots dancing in front of my vision.

"Leave her!"

"Tu, take it easy," Hine says in a calmed tone. "We still need her to say that she will give the necklace back, so let her breath."

Tu lets go of Sam begrudgingly, and huffs in annoyance.

"Now, girl, please say you give it back."

Sam lifts her chin, and takes a deep breath. "Not before you let my father's soul go."

Hine laughs dryly, and holds the Koru in her outstretched arm. "No. Now say the words."