Return To The Woods

18TH OF JULY

Samantha

The jump to consciousness only takes a fraction of a second. It’s like being immersed in the deepest sleep, dreaming about a gorgeous guy I just met while on holidays, and then boom! The alarm rings and I'm back in the hostel’s bed, no guy next to me. 

How much of what happened last night was real, and how much was part of this muddled up dream? My head hurts slightly, and I take a drink of water from my bedside table before going over to wake Emma.

“Em, wake up!” I say as I shake her slightly.

Em tucks the covers higher up her head as she moans. 

“C’mon you lazy ass! Let's get going! We have a long road ahead.”

“But it’s cold!” Em’s voice comes out muffled from under the covers, so I go over and take the covers off in one quick motion. “Heeeeyy!!” 

She hugs herself tightly and I can see she’s getting goosebumps straight away.

“You won’t be cold anymore if you get changed. I really want to spend some time in the Redwoods after we drive around the lakes, and I don’t want to arrive in Turangi at night, so we gotta move! Today's going to be one big day, lots of activities, so chop chop!” I say as I head back to my bed and fix the covers. We're leaving this room today, so I want it to look tidy.

"What you want, is to spend one long day with Tane!" Em says in a mocking tone. 

I turn around and hit her with a pillow. Does she have a point? I know I’m eager to see him, but at the same time, I’m not sure what to expect once we meet again. It makes my stomach churn a little to think about it. 

"Oowww!" She complains, but after another groan, she gets up. 

We're both ready in record time, and within half an hour we are heading downstairs to the reception area to wait for Tane. We have our bags with us, which we'll leave on the boot of the car all day. 

"Morning," the gentleman at reception says as soon as we approach. 

"Morning!" We reply both at the same time, and then we giggle like we're 12 years old all over again. 

"Here to check out? Your friend was down here earlier, he already paid for his room," he says. "And he left this for you." He adds as he hands me over the car keys and a note.

I shove the keys in my pocket as I unfold the little note. There's only a bunch of simple words scribbled in a rushed handwriting. 

'Family business, you can have the car today. I'll find you later.'

That's it. Maybe he does not care after all.  

I'll find you later. 

✢✢✢

Emma

The day is cold and the air is filled with moisture; I'm sure it’s gonna rain before the day is over. 

I take another sip from my hot chocolate and lean back on the bench as I admire lake Tarawera, the last one on the itinerary.

“Pretty damn cold today, isn’t it?” My voice sounds cheerful enough despite the weather. 

“I know,” Sam says. She's hugging her cup of chocolate with both hands, her eyes lost in the distance. 

She hasn't said that much all day, I expected us to have the best day ever driving around the lakes and all, but after Tane bailed on us this morning, Sam seemed to shut down a little. We've been to four different lakes, driving around the whole bloody town, and she’s been making little jokes here and there and smiling for the pictures, but I’m not sure she’s fully with me.