Blurry Thoughts, Blurry Actions

14TH OF JULY

Samantha

The house feels warm with the fireplace blazing, and I find myself feeling content as I help Em serve dinner. I thought this was going to be uncomfortable, but Tane has actually been really helpful setting up the fireplace and helping with our luggage.

We all sit in the little lounge around the table, our plates full of chicken, potatoes and salad that me and Em just cooked in the small but cozy kitchen. Everything in the house is actually small and cozy, but in a good way. Like a warm blanket wrapping around you on a cold day, this little house makes me feel secure and comfortable. My absolute favourite thing is the view out of the big glass doors in the lounge, and I can’t wait to appreciate it in the morning.

We arrived after dark, so we didn’t go down to the sea, but after spending the whole day driving around different beaches, no one minded it too much. I almost went on my own, but we were all tired and ready for some dinner and warmth, so I helped Em with dinner instead.

“Thanks for this,” Tane says as he receives his plate. “Actually, thanks for everything," he adds with a cute smile that warms up my insides. "You’ve been sweet as company, and it’s so cool of you to allow me to stay here. I would’ve probably frozen my ass off in the tent, it’s gotten so cold!”

“It’s not a problem at all!” Em says before I can even think up an answer. “It’s been a pleasure to have you as our pilot too, I can certainly do some more of the driving tomorrow!”

“I don’t mind actually,” he says. “I’m really enjoying driving.”

“Okay then, let’s eat!” Em yelps as she digs into a potato.

I pick at my salad and cut little pieces of chicken up. Em’s happily eating to my left, while I can hear Tane’s cutlery clicking away in front of me. I catch Em glancing at Tane, and as I look up with a bite of chicken halfway to my mouth, I lock eyes with him. I look back down as fast as I can, cutting another piece of chicken and playing with my salad some more. I really need to stop looking, I don’t know what it is about him that’s got me feeling so stupid and ashamed. Em’s clearly interested in the guy, and I’m not, so that is that. I need to stop looking, I don’t want to send mixed signals. 

I can’t fully blame myself though, he is pretty interesting to look at, I can’t deny that. 

Maybe it’s the strong jawline now looking so much sharper after he shaved, or the delightful scent of pine that emanates from him everytime he gets near. Perhaps it’s the deepness of his eyes that seem to shake me to the very core when he looks at me, or the strands of hair that keep falling into his eyes... The fingers that run through his scalp as he brushes them back. Perhaps it is the hair, the messiness of it, how it's colour reminds me of the dark richness of forest loam. Or maybe it’s those plump seductive lips- Enough. 

I look down and stab a potato with the fork.

✢✢✢

Emma

“Time to have some fun,” I say  as I pull a bottle of vodka from under the table.

“Where the hell did that come from?!” Sam yelps. She looks at me wide eyed, utterly surprised, but a second later she laughs a little while shaking her head. She knows me better than to be surprised by this. 

“Got it at the supermarket this morning when you were too distracted buying food,” I say. “And then I hid it in my bag so it would be a surprise."