Time Is A Curious Thing

Announcement: If you've made it all the way here, thank you sooo much!! 💕💕 Means the world to me!
I just finished writing the first draft📝 and I have to say my vision from the start shifted a bit🤔 so I will edit all this first chapters come December to shorten this introduction part🙌🏻
Good news is: You made it all the way into the juicy part now!🙈🙊
So, I hope you love what's to come! 💕
------

12TH OF JULY

Rongo

I feel like I’m pacing back and forth inside my mind as I listen to the debate. It’s not that I’m nervous, or that I’m anxious. It’s that for once, I feel a bit biased. Being the mediator, I need to always keep my cool and not side with anybody, but my brother Tu is really getting on my nerves today, and a part of me wants to go against him just because I can.

“We couldn’t do much about it back then, because the girl was gone,” says Tu as he keeps on giving his opinion on the matter. His voice is deep and he sounds angry, but he always sounds angry. “But we know she’s coming back, and I think it’s time we enforce a punishment. I think he should prove that saving her life was worth it.”

Some mumble their agreement, others their discomfort.

“We are all family, and he is our brother,” says Ru shyly, “Can’t we just get along?”

“Family?!” Yells Tu. “We lived together for too long, way too long, but after we all went our separate ways, I think some of us can’t even be considered family any longer. He defied us when he saved that girl! We are not meant to interfere like that, but he's got too soft and did it regardless!”

“I don’t know what ‘too soft’ means coming from you, brother,” says Tawhiri. “You know, considering that before they got separated, you actually suggested killing your own mother and father!”

“To hell with that! Do you always need to bring up the same subject?!” Tu is shaking with rage.

“Yes, I do! I will never forgive you for it!” Shouts Tawhiri as a thunder rumbles in the distance.

“Okay,” I say, finally interceding. “We’re not here to discuss that… again. We are here to decide what to do about our brother.” I need to end this argument, or else we’ll be here forever. There’s only two choices, and I think it might be a tight one. “So, I think we should take a vote.”

Most of my brothers agree with this idea, so I present them with the options.

“You can either vote to just forget about the issue, it's been some time anyways and some believe we should let it go. Or else, as suggested by Tu, we can all decide on a punishment together so it can be proved that our brother's actions were worth it.” I say. “All those in favour of punishing our brother, say ‘ay’”

“Ay!” Screams Tu angrily.

“Ay,” says another voice. “Ay,” joins another one. “Ay,” Whispers a soft voice.

The voices keep on going for what seems like an eternity. I feel like time stretches in front of me as the voices echo in my mind, and I realise that most of my brothers want to punish one of us for what I deemed a noble action.

“Okay, that settles it, there’s more positive than negative votes,” I say finally in a low voice. “Let’s decide on the details of the punishment.”

✢✢✢
Samantha

I wake myself up when I gasp loudly. There’s sweat running down my back, and my heart is racing a little.