Ruaumoko

21ST OF JULY

Samantha

"Who are you?" I ask, being fully aware that this kid in front of me has to be another one of Tane's brothers. Friend or foe? I wonder as I take a step back instinctively.

What could I do against a God? Probably not much, and regardless, I can't feel scared of him, he looks so adorable and innocent with his chubby face and pink cheeks. He's wearing a light blue beanie, and a big parka with sleeves so long that I can't see his hands.

"I'm Ruaumoko," he says as he smiles up at me. "I'm mummy's favourite," he adds as he grins proudly, and I can't help but smile back at him. He does sound like an adorable and innocent child.

"Are you?" I ask. I've always liked kids, not that I have a lot of experience with them, but I've always felt drawn to their quirky ways.

"Ahm!" He says as he nods once, profusely.

"And why are you here, Rua-moko?" I ask, not sure how to pronounce his name as I can barely remember what he said it was.

"You can call me Ru," he reaches his hand and grabs mine.

He walks us closer to the wall, and I follow. His hand is warm to the touch, and there's a tingling sensation traveling up my arm. He reaches his free hand to the wall, and places it against it.

"I come here sometimes," he says, and he sounds so sad that I can feel my own heart being squeezed inside my chest. "So I don't forget."

I look into his dark eyes, so full of worry and wisdom. It looks so odd for such a little kid to feel so much, and I need to remind myself that he is not really a kid, and that he is probably thousands of years older than me. I can't even grasp the idea of how old this kid must be.

"What are you talking about?" I wonder.

"Do you know who I am?" He asks sweetly, a lonely tear running down his face.

"One of Tane's brothers?" I say, giving him the only little information I possess.

"Yes. I'm the youngest," he explains. "I live under, with my mother, that is. I like it there, even if I get a little lonely sometimes. But the world seems like a scary place, and I only venture out here once in a while... To remember," he says again.

To remember, what? I try to remember the few little things I read about maori mythology since I arrived here in New Zealand, but his name doesn't ring a bell at all.

"What is it that you need to remember?" I ask dubiously.

"That our actions have consequences," he looks up at me briskly, and then back to the names on the wall, running his hand through them. "That my emotions can sometimes lead to tragedy."

I'm looking at him, trying to piece these bits of information together, but not being able to make sense of any of it. I think he notices the way I'm staring, because he looks up at me, giving his back to the wall.

"Sorry, I'm being cryptical," he says. "I'm not used to human interaction, you're the first one I've talked to in so long, it feels like forever." His childish voice is almost gone, and I can almost feel his real age seeping through the cracks, like the real God is trying to show itself. "I should introduce myself properly, I'm Ruaumoko, God of Earthquakes."

Oh.

So he's the reason this city had to be rebuilt, the reason why all these people died. And he sounds so heartbroken about it, I can feel tears pooling in my own eyes. I blink them away, trying not to think about the names I'm reading, because I'd make it too real, and I can't deal with that right now.