Chapter 27: Fastforwards

Lauren and Kaila had been quietly sitting with Faye in her room for the past hour and neither of them had made any attempt to interact with the overly excited girl.

After many failed attempts to play Faye gave up and rushed out of her room and walked downstairs to where the women and Nina's mother sat.

Faye huffed as she sat besides Nina crossing her arms as she pouted.

Bringing her girl in for a side hug, Nina snuggled closely to her little girl. "Why the long face?" She asked kissing the top of the girls head.

"Their boring. They won't play with me. Or talk to me. Or look at me! Their being big meanies!" She complained as the three women surrounding her couldn't help but stifle a laugh.

"They're new baby. We've got to give them some time." Lain told her only earning a louder whine in response.

"Why?!" She threw her face into Nina's side. "I don't like them!" She mumbled out.

"Hey, that's not nice Faye." Nina removed the girl from her side as she looked down sternly.

"But they don't like me!" She made her point as she scooted away from the woman who scolded her and over towards the one looking at her with sorrow eyes.

"Mommy's not going to protect you princess. What mama said is right. What you said about Kaila and Lauren wasn't very nice." Lain persisted causing the girl to whine. She threw on her biggest frown and ran over to the eldest woman who she knew she would earn comfort from.

And as expected the woman welcomed the small girl with open arms as she cuddled her close.

"I wasn't done talking to you yet Faye." Lain moved across the room sitting besides her mother-in-law and little girl. Placing a hand on the sulking girls back she looked down into her glassy eyes. "Don't be so upset with Kaila and Lauren. They don't hate you."

"But their ignoring me!"

"Because their new baby." Nina said.

"But you said we could play!"

"Calm down sweets, no need to be getting all worked up now." Natalia said as she stroked the girls hair.

"It not fair!" She collapsed in the woman's arms sinking far into her hold as tears came streaming out.

Sighing the couple looked towards one another. "I'm going to go check on Lauren and Kaila." Nina said as she stood.

Up in Faye's room the two girls were nowhere to be found. But hearing soft whimpers coming out of Kaila's room the woman entered concerned. "Kaila? Lauren?" She called seeing an empty room.

Listening closer to the sound Nina found the source of the noise was coming from the closet. Walking over slowly the woman opened the door finding both girls curled into themselves with red tear stains running down their cheeks.

"Oh look at you." She got down on her kneels pulling both girls out and into a tight embrace. "Why were you girls in the closet?" She asked holding them securely.

"Don't wanna get in trouble." Lauren cried out as her body trembled.

"Trouble?"

"Faye yelled at us and said we were being mean then left." Kaila explained behind her cries.

"Well that's because Faye thought she was coming home and getting to meet some new playmates but all you two have done is ignore her."

Silently continuing to cry Nina held them on the floor while she spoke. "You girls can't be cooped up inside that closet forever now. You should at least try to get to know Faye. She's the sweetest girl around. She's not going to hurt you."