Chapter 80: Turn of Trust

"I know you guys have been talking about something behind Nina and I's back." Lain said being completely straightforward to Nick and Nelson.

"W-what?" Nelson was the first to gasp before Nick threw an arm behind his brothers back as he silently hit him.

"I...I mean we don't know what you're talking about." Nick tried to play it off.

"Yeah you do. Faye said you guys were keeping a secret the first morning you were here, and I'll admit I feel bad for ignoring her then. But I heard you two talking about something a few days ago." She informed much to the brothers surprise.

Seeing the brothers faces immediately drop she compromised. "Look you don't have to tell me if you don't want to, but can you at least say if it's about Nina and I?" She said exposing her anxious heart out to them.

After days of pretending she was unaware of their secret meetings, Lain's mind couldn't help but image the worst.

While she knew it couldn't have been true, Lain wanted to know if the brothers had been secretly sent here by Natalia to check on Nina's well-being after the incident with her family problems. She didn't want to carry the burden of uncertainty for any longer.

"Lain, I-I don't know what to tell you. We weren't hiding anything-" Nick tried again to get out them out of the situation...

....but then Nelson blurted "Yes!"

Slapping his brother more openly now Nelson could see the disappointment in his brothers eyes. "What?!" He protested. "She just asked if it was about Nina and her!"

Rolling his eyes with a large inhale to keep his sanity, Nick turned back to see Lain looking straight at him with furious eyebrows. "Okay, now you have to tell me what this is all about." She said more demanding than before.

She felt betrayed.

Betrayed that she showed them her vulnerability and  yet Nick still fought against the truth and denied her of the trust she assumed she had with him.

"Lain...we just can't." Nick said as he gulped hard.

"That's not fair Nick! Nelson tell me, please!" She asked looking at the younger brother desperately. She needed to know whether her assumption was correct or not and by the looks of disappointment on the brothers faces, she assumed they were.

However, the brothers had their own mindset. They guiltily stared back at her knowing that their scheme was the only thing capable of tearing them completely apart. They didn't want to ruin the bond they had formed over the years.

"I'm sorry." Nelson said as Lain frustratedly bit her lip in order to stop herself from going at the boys in front of her. Having to turn her glance away from them, she felt repulsed. A wave of green washed over her at the thought of their names.

She assumed this would be a simple, yet awkward, conversation. However, it proved to be so much more. A combination of the invasion of privacy, lack of response, and held back truth formed the green wave Lain was currently fighting with.

"Lain, I'm sorry but-" Nick tried to apologize for upsetting his sister-in-law, but hearing his voice turned that wave into an tsunami.

Shaking her head Lain extended her finger out towards him. "Save it." She said lowly. "Go tell Nina and the girls goodbye. I want you out of my house now."

"But Lain-"

"I said I want you out of my house now!" She shouted at them in a tone they had never heard before. She was beyond mad. Beyond sad. And beyond annoyed. She wanted their faces out of her way as soon as possible.