Chapter 92: Voicemail

Sleeping through the night was a hard challenge for the woman laying wide awake in bed as she stared up at the ceiling pondering over what her brother-in-law could be planning.

'Apology event? What even classifies as an apology event?' Lain thought as she couldn't shake that desire to know off of her chest.

She wanted to know what was going down on Friday. And so she hoped that today she would be lucky enough to get some answers.

'Answers.' She stopped for a minute as she sat up and grabbed her phone off the table besides her bed. Opening her phone at an unearthly time of night, the woman decided to text Nick. She wanted something simple, and yet she wanted something that would be able to get her point across as well. "If you want me to meet with you on Friday, tell me more details about it." She whispered to herself as she typed it out.

Hitting send without a second thought the woman laid back down as she rested her phone against her chest. She knew Nickolas would be checking his phone in the morning and now it was going to be the first thing he saw when he did so.

But that time came by a whole lot sooner than she expected.

While Nina was off in a daze, snoring off wildly besides her, Lain heard the pinging of a message. Flipping her phone around in one move she turned to the screen seeing Nick had replied.

"I can't do that over the phone. I'll tell you more about it though on Friday." She said with a grunt.

Typing away quickly she didn't want to lose this unexpected opportunity. "Well I'm not showing up on Friday without any details beforehand." She was persistent.

And yet so was Nick.

"Please Lain, I'm sorry about how I left. I was trying to work out some personal things. But I really, and I mean like really, need you to show up on Friday. Please say you'll go."

Just as her fingers were about to start typing away again, Lain paused. Hesitant as she more carefully thought through her next words.

"What's so important that you need to see me on Friday?"

"Let's just say, I got you something to make up for the way things ended the last time I was there. I know you're going to absolutely love it."

"What is it?"

"I can't say on the phone, I already said that. I'll give it to you on Friday. I promise. Just please say you'll agree to meet with me that day."

Stopping to consider the man's words, Lain was surprised to see his typing indicator appear on screen before she responded. Waiting anxiously as the indicator blinked slowly, she waited for his next message to send.

"It's something I know you've been wanting for a long time. I remember you used to talk about it all the time when we were kids. I figured now would be a great time to give it to you. But I can only give it to you if you show up. Please Lain, I just want to show you that I'm sorry for our fallout."

Sighing with her head spinning the woman responded. "Fine I'll be there."

Immediately afterwards the woman got spammed a wide variety of joyful, pleased, and excited faces.

"Thank you! I'll text you the details later, I'm off to a meeting now."

Lain was about to set her phone down for the night before her eyebrow cocked. "A meeting?" She sent him. "Who has a meeting at one in the morning?"

"Me." He simply replied.

"Can't it wait til the suns out at least?"

"Not really. I'm in a time crunch right now with a project so I've got to hurry and get it done."