Chapter 56: The Sound of Heartache

"Hey baby." Nina said as she walked into Kaila's room after placing Lauren back into bed herself. Waking over to the sulking girl, Nina brushed Kaila's hair out of her tear soaked face. "What's wrong sweetheart?"

She carried Kaila out of her bed and placed her onto her hip. Shushing the girl as she bounced her legs, Nina noticed something was seemingly heavier than normal.

"Oh I see why you're so fussy now." She hummed pressing kisses onto the girls head. "Let mama lay you down sweet girl."

Crying harder when the woman was setting her closer to the bed, Kaila's grip on the woman tightened. "Oh I know honey, just let mama change your diaper and then I'll grab you again." She assured as she laid Kaila back down on her bed.

Unzipping her bunny onesie, Nina fetched all the supplies needed before beginning to clean her little girl up. As the cold wipe came into contact with her skin, Kaila cried as her warmth was stolen from her.

"I know. Just a little more." Nina said as she finished cleaning her upset baby.

"Mama?"

Both Nina and Kaila froze as Lauren waltzed back into Kaila's room unannounced. "I can't sleep-" she began before stopping in her steps looking at the duo in front of her.

If Nina thought Kaila was crying hard before, she was crying harder now. After she quickly strapped a new diaper onto Kaila's bottom, Nina threw the little girls blanket on top of her to cover up their tracks.

"Lauren what're you doing out of bed?" The woman asked after having blanked out on the girls excuse earlier.

"Why's Kaila wearing a diaper?" She ignored the woman and went to the more questioning topic at hand.

Practically climbing back onto Nina, Kaila needed the comfort, disregarding the fact that her onesie was still undone, and by doing so she was only showing off her diaper more as Lauren only walked closer to them.

Rubbing Kaila's back, Nina turned her attention down to the curious girl pointing at them. "Let's leave Kaila alone now princess." She said putting Lauren's finger back down to her side.

"But she's wearing diaper."

"Yes sweet pea I know."

"Why?" She tilted her head as the thought of sleep seemingly disappeared from her mind.

"Well..." she looked towards Kaila seeing the girl nuzzling her face deep into her chest. "...Kaila's just a baby honey. And baby's need a little more protection at night than others."

"So baby needs diaper?"

Nodding the woman leaned down to kiss the top of Lauren's head. "They do. But we've got to be nice about it alright? We don't want to make sissy sad."

Lauren paused momentarily letting Nina's word choice sink in. The woman didn't even seemed fazed by it. Instead she just smiled as she wanted to bring their little family closer together. Meanwhile, Kaila was too busy crying to hear their conversation.

After what seemed like a few minutes Lauren eventually nodded. Shyly at first but upon looking up at the little girl crying and after hearing Nina refer to her as her 'sister' made a protective side in Lauren come out that she didn't know about.

Running into one of the cubbies in Kaila's room, Lauren pulled out a soft toy that the girls would play with regularly downstairs. "Here." She held it up towards the woman.

"Thanks Laur." Nina grabbed the small rattling block and handed it over to Kaila. "Look what Lauren got you."

Gripping onto the toy Kaila held the soft material of the rattle against her cheek.