Chapter 36: Triple Threat

Ever since they began cooking, Lain would occasionally peak into the other room checking on the girl she left far away from the sharp objects. Finally after only half an hour and one crazy kitchen mess later, breakfast was finally ready.

There was batter all around the counter and on the floor by the time the little girl had finished stirring the mix. After having cleaned up the last of the mess, Lain sighed in relief as she wiped the sweat off her forehead while Faye stood back and watched.

"Mama and I should really consider getting an electric mixer instead of having you girls stir the batter." She chuckled.

"But I like stirring." Faye pouted looking at the woman pleadingly not to take away her fun.

"Then next time I'll have you cleaning up your own mess little girl." She smirked but Faye shook her head and ran off towards the living room causing the woman to scoff.

"That girl...I swear." Lain rolled her eyes happily as she plated the cooked food before cutting the food on the girls plates into smaller bits.

Hearing Faye talking loudly in the next room Lain smiled as she walked away from the plates seeing her little girl laying on her stomach besides Kaila. She was kicking her legs as she talked.

"Mommy said she was gonna make me clean messes and I said no and ran!" Faye told the girl who was too busy on her tummy to care.

For the past thirty minutes Kaila had been engrossed into one of Faye's toys left on the floor. It was a simple toy. Just a plastic ball with something inside of it that made it jingle as she gave it a shake.

But while her attention may have been elsewhere, Faye still rambled on about her encounter with Lain.

Seeing Faye interacting so sweetly with the new girls made her smile. At least for a while. Because that smile was quick to disappear as she was about to run into the living room as she saw Kaila lifting the small plastic ball towards her mouth. She had gotten her voice ready to shout for the girl to stop, but before she could even move Faye was already on top of it.

Snatching the ball from the girls hand she looked at Kaila worried. "No, that's bad! You're gonna get in trouble!" She shouted a little too loud for comfort as it blared into the small girls ears.

As her ears rang out, Kaila had started up on yet another crying spree. The girl whined as she begged of Faye to hand back over the toy, but the girl shook her head holding it closer to her chest. "No. You can't have it." She said out of worry.

Going in to defuse the situation Lain placed the knife that she was using to cut the girls food down on the counter before she walked over to them.

Seeing Lain getting closer, Faye gulped. It wasn't what it looked like. To the girl, Kaila was crying and reaching out for a ball that she was holding far away from her. She didn't want her mommy to think that she had stole it from her. She wasn't the one being bad.

"Mommy, Kaila tried eating it." She explained rushingly as the woman just gave her girl a soft grin.

"I saw it all Faye." She assured. "Can I have the ball please?" She held her hand out as the little girl placed it into the woman's palm. "Now go wake up mama and Lauren. Tell them this little chef has finished cooking breakfast and that they need to get their butts down here now while it's hot."

It eased Lain's heart slightly as she watched her girl giggle as she ran off.

But with only one problem solved she was still left with another. As she turned around to put her attention back on the sad girl, she felt two tiny hands wrap around her ankles. Looking down Kaila was laying on her back holding the woman's ankles as she stared up at the ball in her hands.