Chapter 57: The Return

As the long awaited timer on Nina's phone rang out, the woman took a breathe of relief. Finally she could go over and comfort her little girl crying in the corner.

Walking up slowly behind Kaila, she spun her little girl around. Before she even had a chance to get a word in, Kaila was in her lap.

Cradling the small girl as she held her close, Kaila pressed her ear up against Nina's chest listening as her heartbeat slowed the girls tears. "I've got you sweet girl. Mama's got you. You're alright." Nina began to whisper soothingly into her ear as she pressed kisses on top of the little girls head.

"You did well Kaila, I'm so proud of you." She said wiping away the remaining tears dripping down the girls face. "Do you think you can sit up so we can talk?"

Nodding Kaila fixed herself so she was sitting in Nina's lap. The warmth of the woman's body relaxed her tensing muscles.

"Why did mama have to put you into time out?"

Grumbling a response Kaila whined as she buried her sorrowful head into Nina's neck. But the woman wasn't done with her quite yet. Directing the girls chin back out gently, they made eye contact with one another.

"Why'd you go in a time out?" Nina asked again.

"I didn't listen." She finally responded.

"Thats right." Nina nodded. "Why weren't you listening when mama was just trying to talk to you?"

Shrugging her shoulders Kaila frowned as her eyes drifted down towards the floor.

"You don't know." Nina said making sure to leave emphasize on her answer. "Well I think it's safe to say it wasn't worth not listening for now was it?"

Shaking her head frantically Kaila never wanted to be put through that again. Her bottom was tired from sitting in the same place for so long with nothing to keep her occupied.

"So what did we learn this time?"

"Listen."

"To who?" Nina leaned closer wanting more in depth answers.

As Kaila pointed towards Nina the woman chuckled. "And?"

"Mommy." She said with a hiccup from all her crying.

"And what are we not suppose to do to people who make us upset?"

"Push."

"That's right!" Nina praised bouncing her legs. "What do we do instead?"

"Tell someone."

Rather than being praised Nina stood up spinning her sad girl around causing her to giggle softly. Pressing kisses upon kisses onto the little girls face, Nina settled Kaila back down on her hip.

"You are absolutely right about that one Kay. I think this calls for a celebration." Nina smiled as Kaila laid her head against the woman's shoulder wiping the tears off of her face.

Carrying Kaila downstairs to where the rest of their family was, Lauren and Faye were in the middle of playing a board game in the living room while Lain finished frying their food.

"Mama play?" Lauren called the second she noticed the woman had stepped downstairs.

"Not yet baby, I've got to talk to mommy."

"Kaila?" Faye asked patting the open spot in between her and Lauren.

Smiling as the girls welcomed the littlest of them to their game, Nina sat Kaila down gently shushing her as she whined. "Play with sissy's darling, mama will bring you a bottle."