Chapter 30: Stay Back from the Fishies

With Natalia not around to help the young couple with the girls anymore time seemed to pass by faster than ever given that they were so busy. Their days began to surpass them faster than they were arriving. But luckily there was some good that came out of Natalia's absence too.

Lauren had been adjusting easily since Natalia left. She surprised the woman at first as she began to interact more with them. From conversing to playing she was starting to enjoy her time here at the women's home. Watching her smile and laugh on a daily warmed Lain and Nina's hearts. They wished for the girls to be happy here, and finally seeing their efforts being rewarded they couldn't have been more thrilled.

Well slightly thrilled.

While Lauren was adjusting well to the couple and to Faye, there was still another girl not quite as involved yet.

Kaila was still wary as she kept her guard up. While she was growing more and more comfortable by each day that passed there was still a lingering worry in the back of her head.

She would engage with Lauren and Faye regularly, with some exceptions as she refused to go all out with them. But for the couple, Kaila resorted to simple answers and spoke when she was spoken to. She never started the conversation herself. She would wait for someone else to make an effort to talk with her first.

While it was slow, the couple were still excited to see some improvement being made.

Living with the women for just about a month now all of the girls were out for yet another family outing. With the girls more comfortable in public, Lain and Nina decided to take them to someplace they would enjoy.

"Welcome to Dian Lake, how can I help you?" A young woman asked from behind the counter of a small shop.

As the women spoke to her, Kaila, Lauren, and Faye were too occupied looking around at what the shop had to offer than listening.

All around were pieces of equipment for outdoor adventures. On one wall had all things necessary for a camping trip, in another had bows and arrows for an archery expedition, and on the final wall had materials that could be used to go fishing. The girls stared intently at all the things around them.

But before they knew it Nina and Lain were grabbing onto their hands and taking them outside the shop.

The sight inside was interesting but outside was nothing short of spectacular. Sitting in the middle of a mountain valley laid a large lake. The surrounding mountains had snow on the very top of them from their elevation.

"Follow me ladies." The same woman from inside appeared from around the shop driving a small vehicle that was towing a large boat behind her. Leading them closer to the lake she used the vehicle to lower the boat into the water.

While a chain attached to the woman's vehicle kept the boat in place, she ran off to a shed besides the lake. Waving the family over she pulled out five different life vests. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how put them on. Well for the couple at least.

Each girl had the same problem—attaching their life vests buckles to the wrong places.

Chuckling to themselves Lain and Nina finished putting theirs on before assisting the remaining three girls with theirs. Faye nearly had it, if it wasn't for one buckle she left hanging on her back side.

However, Kaila and Lauren had buckles loose everywhere and some that needed to be redone. It took them all five minutes to put on simple life vests. Thankfully the woman helping them on their journey didn't mind.

"Okay so before I let you on the boat I am required to tell you about some of our safety precautions. Luckily it will be super short and very easy to remember since there are only two. Don't take off you're life vests and don't go into the water outside of the safe zone."