Chapter 35: From Zero to a Hundred

After an uneventful night, the women had successfully tucked two of the girls in their beds. While Kaila and Faye went down rather easily for the night, Lauren was now wide awake as her naps earlier gave her energy.

She laid between the couple in their large bed, a classic movie played while Lauren leaned into Lain's touch as she ran her fingers through the young ones hair.

It wasn't until three movies and two bottles later did Lauren's sleep catch back up with her.

She snored peacefully as she slept. Keeping the women company in their bed tonight they too found themselves asleep. And as the night passed the house was quiet. There were hardly any sounds around that echoed through their halls besides the loud crickets from outside were singing their nightly melodies.

But as the night grew older one of the little girls alone in her bed woke. Rubbing her eyes, the girl with long blond hair looked out her window catching sight of the beautiful moon staring back at her.

Climbing out of her comfortable bed, Kaila wobbled over to the window getting a better look at the nature that surrounded her. Feeling something coming over her she looked to make sure her door was shut before unlocking the latch on her window as she pushed it open.

Feeling a gust of breeze hit her face she breathed in the cool air. Taking a seat she rested her arms on the window seal as she looked longingly outside.

For two long and dreadful years she dreamed about a moment like this.

A quiet and peaceful moment where nothing bothered her. Not a command, not a threat, and with nobody to obstruct her freedoms.

In this moment the only thing that she cared about was the glistening water below that swayed with the wind. The soft noises of the nocturnal creatures prowling around the crisp grass calling out to their fellow peers. Or the whooshing whistle of the wind blowing through the tall pine trees.

There couldn't have been a more perfect moment.

Staring out into the night she lost track of time. Soon moments became hours.

Flooding her memory was the endless amounts of joy and laughter her previous day had provided.

"Couldn't sleep either?" Her shoulders jumped as she spun around seeing Lain had made her way in. Guess she was too caught up in her thoughts to hear the woman opening her creaky door.

Walking over in her nightgown she sat besides the girl on the floor as she looked out her open window too. "It's fine this time. But next time I'd prefer if you didn't open this. It's a long way down you know." She said in a tone that allowed Kaila to realize she hadn't gotten into trouble.

"Sorry...I...I couldn't sleep." Kaila muttered.

"Me neither. With a combination of Lauren snoring and Nina talking in her sleep I thought I would go somewhere else." She sighed.

Kaila giggled at the thought.

"How long have you been up for?" Lain asked as she pulled the girl into her side. Letting Kaila slump back into her hold Lain rubbed the girls arm comfortably.

"Just a little while."

"A little?" Lain chuckled. "I guess once a liar—always a liar." Kaila looked to her in disbelief.

'How did she know?!' She questioned as she admitted with the look on her face.

"Those bags under you're eyes suggest otherwise." The woman said as if having just read her mind.

Tensing up after being caught in her dishonesty, Kaila was took off guard as Lain laughed quietly and pulled her into her lap. "Will you ever learn not to lie to me?" She questioned playfully putting her nose up against the girls who in relief smiled back.