20

CAMP NEWS

I have a marvelous idea. And before you ask like all of my other stupid friends, NO, IT DOES NOT INVOLVE SETTING SOMETHING ON FIRE.

But it should. It definitely should.

I mean, I'm Leo Valdez, prankster-extraordinaire, bad-boy supreme. I'm the Mc-Shizzle. Yet, due to unfortunate circumstances, my idea doesn't involve setting things on fire. Or setting myself on fire, anything really.

I mean, maybe I shouldn't be so enthusiastic about fire.

I hate fire. I always have, after the... fire that burnt down the garage my mom worked at, it's always been a fear of mine because I did that. I started the fire that... killed my... mom.

I miss her. But, I've overcome that fear. I'm not so scared anymore. I know that I can control it and I know that I won't harm anyone. Unless they're monsters, but you get my point.

Um, anyway... Back to my idea.

So, I decided to start a "Camp News" kind of thing. We, and by "we", I mean me-

'OH ALRIGHT, SORRY ANNABETH. YOU AND PERCY AND THE REST OF THE GANG TOO.'

Anyway, we'll sorta go around camp and ask everyone what they're doing, how's the weather... generic things like that. Meh, it'll be fun.

And not to brag, but it's news with me?

The bad boy, the supreme Mc-Shizzle?

It's bound to be awesome.

-

'HHHELLLLOOO AND WELCOME TO CAMP HALF-BLOOD'S FIRST NEWS UPDATE? SEGMENT? ANNABETH, WHAT IS THIS?'

Annabeth groans and snatches the pencil we're using as a mic out of his hand. 'Hello demigods!' She says smiling at the campers sitting in front of her. I purse my lips and roll my eyes, HOW DARE SHE?

'Today, we'll be interviewing a few campers, going through weather updates and more.'

She smiles at all the campers who clap as they toast marshmallows over the blazing warmth of the campfire.

'So, now... I welcome Percy Jackson to the stage!' She announces, handing the mic back to me, giving me a look that screams, "Mess-this-up-and-I'll-judo-flip-you"... Well, I don't want her to judo-flip me. Annabeth's judo-flips are fricking scary.

'Riight and um, hello Percy,' I say, chuckling at Annabeth's silent threat.

Percy grins and waves to all the campers who wave back enthusiastically as I ask, 'So, how's the sea, Perce?'

He raises his eyebrows in a "Are-you-kidding-me-right-now?' look and shakes his head.

'The seas are wonderful Filled with seaweed, Valdez.' I hear one of the campers, probably Clarisse yell, 'Just like your brain, Kelp Head.'

I laugh, but shut up when I see Percy glaring at me. Right, uh, I don't think he likes me very much.

'And now moving on... Piper, how's Lacy doing? She broke her leg, right?'

Piper sighs and nods, 'She's doing better. Will says she still has another day in the infirmary.'

I nod in acknowledgement as we continue on. After a few crazy stunts by the Nike kids, Travis and Connor's pranking tutorial, Clovis showing everyone some cool sleep tricks, Clarisse spearing a few dummies and a few other crazy things, we come to Will. I really hope I'm doing ok, 'cuz I'm sure Annabeth would actually kill me.

'And now, for a gay update with Will Solace!' I grin at the crowd as Annabeth gives me a small thumbs-up. Phew.

The blue-eyed boy smirks and turns to his boyfriend. He turns to the campers and winks, 'Getting gayer.'

I burst out laughing as Piper pulls on Nico's cheeks. 'And there you have it folks. Signing off, this is Leo Valdez.'

I bow dramatically and sit back down as everyone bursts into applause, patting me on the back for doing such a good job. Chiron chuckles and says that it was great, hoping for another issue.

I smile at everyone... Maybe ideas not involving fire are good too.

But in all honesty, this was pretty good.

Hmph, looks like I have a new segment to plan. I turn to Annabeth, 'Ok, I'm confused. IS IT A SEGMENT OR AN UPDATE OR? I'M SO CONFUSED!!!'