Lost at sea (Mermaid AU)

What?? Me uploading this book two days in a row?? Guess you could say I've been busy-

Yo this is low key pretty angsty, I got so sad writing some parts. Also I should apologize because my knowledge when it comes to pirates specifically is rusty but I tried. If you have criticism, please make it constructive :)

Also I know this gives off mad Grumbo vibes but this was supposed to be my way of proving myself to the Gritho cult and I got carried away shush-

Last also, this gives off mad ideas for a part 2 :eyes:

Warnings:
-Drowning
-Character death
-Seperate mentioned character death

If I missed anything please let me know and I will add it!

Wordcount [~1.6k] words

~3rd POV~

The night sky was dark, only the light of the full moon reflecting down into the murky waters below the sea vessel, which shifted and swayed with every movement. Normally on peaceful nights like this, the crew aboard would be fast asleep in their cots, leaving the work to be tended to in short shifts. But not tonight. Shouts echoed off the deck of the boat, an angry crew tossing ropes and cursed around at the news of intruders. Nobody would sleep this night.

"Thought you could stow away here that easy?" The Captain asked, her orange hair flipping in the wind. Her stern voice silenced the voices of everyone on the ship, the only other sound to her approach was the stamp of her boots on the deck. "You're no fit to live, just like your village wasn't fit to stay standing."

Grian took a shaky breath in, eyeing Mumbo to his right. The pair found themselves tied up, hands bound behind backs as a member of the crew who seemed to be part wolf tossed them to the ground carelessly. He could feel the splintering wood stabbing into his flesh.

"Please," Grian started, eye meeting the captain's in a terrified gaze. "We meant no harm, my friend is sick and-"

"I don't have time for your excuses." The captain waved, dismissing in a heartbeat. "You're getting off my ship, even if it kills you. Ren! I find myself in need of getting rid of more dead weight than I planned!"

"No no no- wait!"

But the time for action was up. At the captain's wicked command, both Grian and Mumbo were shoved towards the edge of the ship, newly secured weights on either of their ankles. Panic was all Grian could feel, looking towards his friends exhausted figure, swaying and struggling to breathe.

"Mumbo…?"

Mumbo said nothing, instead giving one last tearful and tired smile as a curved sword shoved harshly at his back. Grian watched his best friend plummet to his death, hitting the water below and sinking faster than a cement brick. Grian knew he was next, gathering up his breath in one last pitiful attempt as he felt himself falling, falling, falling,

Splash.

Water invaded his senses, salty and black. He tried his best to stay calm, eager eyes searching for his friend before his head was dragged below the surface. He couldn't see, but he knew his breath wouldn't last long. He fought, bound arms struggling and begging for freedom until his body ached. Until he was simply too tired to fight anymore. His chest heaved, lungs forcing in a breath of air and only receiving water.