Stars (Angst)

Renskall, as requested by quing-of-aces I'm sorry it took a couple days.

I'm low key in the middle of a state of unfocus where my brain will throw 17 ideas at me all at once and I have no idea how to write any of them. So in the process of drafting this, I also came up with a bijillion other ideas which were near abandoned after two paragraphs maybe. Also I may or may not have something planned for Halloween 👀

Warnings:
-Mentioned character death (Not shown)
-Tears
-Broken glass (Very very inexplicit)
-The "You can talk to me" conversation

Let me know if I missed anything!

Idk why man, my brain just wants that angst recently.

Wordcount [~760]

~3rd POV~

Ren smiled, all calm in the darkness of night which was only lit by the gentle glow of the stars. Iskall layed next to him, the pair stargazing on top of the Swede's omega tree. The view was beautiful, which made up for the stabbing pain of sharp bark splinters that dug into the skin between their shoulders as they lay down. The two shared silence, only broken by a soft question that passed Iskall's lips.

"What is beyond?" They asked, gaze never moving from the dark sky.

"Beyond what, my dear?"

A tiny shrug in response. "I dunno, the stars?" They moved, resting their head on the peak of Ren's chest and favoring looking at him instead of the sky.

Ren contemplated his response, lightly dragging his fingers through Iskall's soft hair. "It's a happy place. One we all get to visit some day and not have to worry about anything. Why do you ask?"

Iskall didn't respond, the words not dragging from his lips coherently.

Ren smiled, somehow reading Iskall's mind and grabbing hold of their wrist to admire the woven bracelet that matched his own. "We'll always be together."

---

We'll always be together.

The words swarmed Iskall's head, watering eyes threatening to spill as they covered their face in their arms. Xisuma momentarily paused his speech, casting a quick glance at the Swede before continuing on with the meeting. Iskall knew at this point they were just weighing everyone down. Just because they couldn't pull themself together long enough to listen to whatever was happening with everyone else.

"Hey, it'll be okay," They felt their hand being squeezed from under the table, darting up to look at the seat next to them. Ren smiled down at them, his kind eyes calming them to the soul. Tired eyes couldn't help but smile back.

"Thank you," They mumbled, ignoring the empty and forlorn looks they got from a couple other Hermits.

"Iskall, will you hang back a moment?" Xisuma asked as the monthly meeting dismissed. "I just have a question."

Hesitantly, Iskall glanced at Ren, who nodded as he rose from his seat. As the room cleared out, the Swede and the Admin were left alone.

"What do you need?" He said.

"Are you okay?"

Iskall nodded simply, forcing a laugh out of their lungs, already anxiously rubbing at the material of their bracelet. "I'm fine, really." The bee seemed skeptical, his gloved hands reaching out to take his friends over the smooth table surface.

"Please, let me or anyone else know if anything is wrong. We understand, Iskall. It takes time."

Iskall avoided eye contact, worming away from Xisuma's touch with a shrug. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Lying never felt so natural.

---

Broken glass pieces scattered across the wooden floors, reflecting no more. Iskall stood at the basin of the sink, carelessly running their bloodied knuckles under warm water. No mirror to mock them with lies, or rather, the truth they didn't want to believe. Gentle arms wrapped themselves around their torso.

"I'm sorry," Iskall found the words tumbling from their mouth, scowl quickly turning to sorrow. "I'm so sorry,"

"You have to let go eventually," Ren whispered, the ghost of a voice in their ear. "You can't keep lying to yourself."

"I can't do it alone." He said, leaning over the sink. "Don't make me say it,"

The plea was ignored.

"What am I, Iskall?" Ren asked, tone never changing from that gentle whisper. The one that never failed to cheer Iskall up. Not a single failure until that moment.

---

Iskall ran their fingers gently over the cool stone. Stars shone overhead, light brightened by the pale moon. They sniffed, crouching down next to the headstone and setting their flowers.

"I brought these for you, I hope you like them."

Say it.

Iskall couldn't help the tears that tracked down their face. They glanced up at Ren, who only gave a smile of reassurance.

"I miss you, Ren. I know you aren't there. I just-" They paused, resting their chin on the headstone if only to bring Ren back. They knew Ren wasn't coming back. "I know I have to move on, I just thought we would always be together."

Iskall laid back in the grass, looking up at the stars which twinkled and glowed. They knew he was alone. They knew Ren was happy in his own little paradise beyond the stars. They knew one day they would be together again, but it hurt.

~~~

Take your time to grieve, even if it's painful to let go.