𝟎𝟖. 𝐀 𝐖𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐡 𝐖𝐡𝐨 𝐂𝐚𝐧'𝐭 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐇𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐟

UNEDITED 08

UNEDITED
08. A Witch Who Can't Protect Herself

Hope found herself sitting in a seat two rows down from Harry and the rest of the golden trio. The class had yet to begin while a paper bird flew around the room with magic. Everyone smiled up at it as it flew around gracefully, even Hope, who made this happen herself many times.

The tribrid found herself feeling extra self conscious as she felt a stare on her back. She knew it was Draco by the way it made her feel. Like she was safe, but she also felt that she shouldn't be. The Slytherin boy sat in the very back row with Blaise beside him, who didn't even notice his best mate's staring problem.

Hope watched the flying paper bird turn to dust in front of some students in the very front row, and then heard the voice that made her wolf run wild.

The entire classroom turned toward the back of the classroom were professor Umbridge was letting her wand fall in front of her stomach. She had a wicked grin on her face that made the students uneasy in their seats. The girl next to Hope shuddered with nervousness while still facing the front, too afraid to look at the pink clothed witch.

"Good morning, children."

Umbridge looked like a flamingo in her clothes in different shades of pink. It made Hope laugh quietly to herself as thought it, but was quickly replaced with a slight glare as the woman began walking to the front of the classroom with her wan raised.

"Ordinary Wizarding Level Examinations." As she spoke, the words coming out of her mouth were written on the chalk board, "O-W-L's. More commonly known as OWLs." She stopped at the very front of the classroom to face her class full of students. "Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe."

Hope rolled her eyes but kept her eyes trained on the witch that just so happened to be her professor. With the wave of her wand, textbooks began to be placed in front of each of the students.

"Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven. But you'll be pleased to know from now on, you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic."

A hand was raised in the classroom in front of Hope, who smiled at the realization it was her new friend, Hermione. Umbridge managed to restrain herself from rolling her eyes and allowed the young witch to ask her pending question.

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells."

"Using spells?" A manic giggle followed her retaliation, "Well, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom."