Chapter 36: Seen Through

Hearing the monk’s voice, Shen Yu was stunned and subconsciously thought that the monk was talking to someone else.

But there are clearly only the two of them in this place. Who else could he be talking to?

Shen Yu paused and turned to look at the monk. After a moment of silence, he pointed doubtfully at himself, “Me?”

The monk’s expression remained unchanged.

Shen Yu put away the wooden cards and followed the monk into the next room.

The room is small and seemed to be for monks and temple staff to rest. There is only a small bed, a table and chairs, and some other simple equipment. The scent of sandalwood still lingered in the air.

Shen Yu sniffed this smell and his restlessness seemed to fly away.

The monk went to the table, sat down, and poured two cups of tea for Shen Yu and himself.

“Please, have some tea.” The monk gestured to Shen Yu.

Unfortunately, Shen Yu, as if he hadn’t heard the monk’s words, sat in his wheelchair in front of the door. His seemingly calm eyes were a little more vigilant. After a while, he pretended to have calmed down and said, “Is there a reason you’re looking for me?”

The monk seemed to be aware of Shen Yu’s rejection and was not annoyed. He spoke slowly and gently: “Perhaps the person who has something to say is the donor?”

Shen Yu was stunned. “I don’t understand what you’re talking about.”

“Everyone who comes to this world has a fixed destiny, whether it’s a donor, a monk, or someone else. If you change your destiny, you may be attacked.”

The monk’s intonation was not high, but every word was clearly introduced into Shen Yu’s ears.

Shen Yu’s face was as white as paper. He opened his mouth and could not even pronounce a single syllable. At this moment, he felt that the words he couldn’t find turned into tiny hammers and beat hard on his nerves.

What does the monk mean by that?

He didn’t want to understand.

But in an instant, he understood.

“I…” Shen Yu’s voice was so hoarse that it took a lot of effort to squeeze out the remaining words, “I just want to save myself.”

The monk looked at Shen Yu very gently. To be exact, he gave out a kind and approachable aura from head to foot. However, this aura did not make Shen Yu feel better.

Under the monk’s gaze, Shen Yu felt cold all over.

The fear of one’s soul being seen is like a heavy shackle, which firmly binds all of Shen Yu’s being. He was is so eager to leave, but he can only remain stunned in his place and stare at the monk.

“You can do something else.” The monk said helplessly.

“This is the most effective way. What’s more, if I don’t take the initiative to change my destiny, there’s not a good ending waiting for me in the future,” Shen Yu whispered.

When the monk heard the words, he shook his head gently, as if he disapproved of Shen Yu’s statement: “But while you are changing your destiny, you are also subtly changing the destiny of others.”

Shen Yu was shocked.

Now he understood that the monk came for Tang Li.

It’s just…