Chapter 32

Everything in Bell's world was okay. While he worried about the state of his companion's ability to handle the increased looks, his plan was seeming to work. Even if every man they passed gave him a look of hatred and jealousy. But he didn't care. The girl beside him was calm and looking at the many stores as they passed. It had been a good hour since they arrived in the market, but after a while, he forgotten that he was still holding onto her hand.

'She seems to have gotten used to the stares now... Perhaps I should let go?' Putting his thoughts into action was a lot harder then he expected. For one, his hand didn't seem to want to let go and to be honest he couldn't blame it. Her smooth skin and soft-touch felt right. Meanwhile, the warmth it provided seemed to be hotter than the sun above.

He had to let go. He couldn't get used to this. It was a friendly gesture to comfort her...

'Yeah that's right I was just helping her out. It was just a friendly gesture.'

What happened next could be described as someone ripping a child's favourite toy out of its hands. Artemis had finally found a stall that was selling bows, archery supplies and a variety of hunting items. She bolted from his side to look at the stalls collection.

"Well, at least she's found what she was looking for..."

Bell allowed her to pursue the selection while he kept a close eye on her from a distance.

'This way, she should be able to get used to this on her own.'

He made some interest to look at some of the stalls around him. He found a stall selling fresh fruit and veg, so he took the time to get some things for the meal tonight. He did promise Hestia that he'd cook more.

'Hmm, perhaps I could make a stew... Carrots, onions, leeks, what else?'

He started to think about what he needed. After a few minutes, he paid for the ingredients and went back to keeping an eye on Artemis. She seemed to be trying to negotiate a price on a couple of items. At least that's what it looked like from a distance. However, as he got closer, he found out it was more of an argument.

"There is nothing wrong with that bow! You're just holding it wrong."

The stall owner seemed to be defending his product. Bell had to deal with this issue many a time. Before he met Welf, he had trouble with getting good armour or weapons. Hell, some were so stubborn when it came to their craft that they would sooner not sell then give you a discount.

'This isn't going to end well!' he thought to himself.

He quickly made his way over to her side and try to defuse the situation.

"I've been holding a bow for as long as I can remember, I know how it should feel. This couldn't fire more three arrows before it suffered a break!"

Artemis had shed the quiet and shy demeanour that seemed to be her normal self. He finally reached the two but got a taste of just the kind of person she had been dealing with.

"I've provided for dozens of adventures and hunters, while you my dear look like you have never hunted in your life! So if you don't mind I've got real customers to deal with!"

This is when he eyed Bell.

"White hair, red-eye if my eyes don't deceive me the little rookie himself. Welcome to my little store, perhaps I can interest you in one of my fine products?"

Bell could feel the anger radiate of Artemis for being ignored. He took a deep breath and tried to stop her from doing something stupid. He gently put his hand on her arm, to reassure her.