Chapter 43

The day was still young as Artemis pulled the boy down the street towards the tower. She was barely geared up but was fine. Bell had no intention of going deeper than the first floor no matter how good she was. He at least wanted to see how she handled herself, not to mention her bow was still below the rubble back at the church.

'I hope she's okay without it? Still, it probably won't hurt if she learns to be proficient in another weapon?'

He chuckled to himself, he was a hypocrite he only ever used his knife to fight unless the situation called for something else. But he did mix in his magic from time to time so he at least felt like he had been mixing things up enough.

"Hey slow down we've still got most the day..."

Once he caught the glint in her eyes he knew that there was nothing that was going to stop her. Not that he wanted to. He knew the look, he had seen it in himself all the time. The anticipation to explore, to train...

'She really is just like me back then...'

"I know but I just can't wait! Finally, I get to explore the unknown, see monster and beast only the god's chosen have seen!"

She released his arm. He instantly came to a screeching halt as he watched her. With a hop skip and spin, she turned to face him a glorious smile on her face. Hands behind her back as she leaned forward.

"It feels like forever since I felt this alive... The thought of trying something new is pushing me forward! Ohh the anticipation is killing me!"

She reached out to grab his arm again, he expected her to start dragging him forward but she didn't. Her grip was light and her eyes looked at his face.

"Thank you...F-for doing this I mean... I'm sure you'd rather be preparing for the wargame..."

He looked at her confused, he wanted to laugh but instead shook his head.

"I'm not alone in this now... Your part of this family now too you know!"

Artemis blushed a little and nodded.

"I-I know that! It's just..."
She looked to the ground a tinge of embarrassment as she failed to get her words out.

"I g-guess what I'm trying to say is..."

'Damn she's cute when she's embarrassed!'

He took a step forward and grabbed her hand, the sudden action was enough of a surprise to knock her out of her thought.

"Don't worry about me, I want to help you, we're in this together now. So come on the dungeon awaits!"

She couldn't explain why but the moment he said it her body seemed to freeze up and get pulled along. It took but a moment but she was glad he put her doubt to rest. She quickly matched his pace and walked by his side. She felt his hand softly holding onto hers. Part of her felt it would fall out of his after a short time.

'...'

She bit her lip lightly taking the time to judge the situation, she took the chance and increased her own pressure in the hold. A light squeeze to confirm she was still there. It was strangely embarrassing to her. But that was becoming a guarantee with everything she did with the boy.

'To think holding hands would incite such a reaction from me. I really am a hypocrite!'

Ohh how she loved the moment, it was so peaceful. Like the day before she slowed her pace to enjoy it. Part of her didn't even want to go to the dungeon she would rather walk the city with him.

'I wonder if he'd like that... What am I thinking of course he wouldn't. I shouldn't even like this'

Unbeknownst to her Bell was having the exact same thought. He had grabbed hold of her hand unconsciously and hadn't let go, no he was unsure if he should.