Chapter 37

"Well, that was different... I have to admit he didn't seem like the type to get angry. But damn, perhaps Seer had a good reason to keep an eye on him after all."

Whisper sat on the tree and observed the fight from afar her eyes were drawn to the anger the boy showed towards them. A small smile on her lips as she pushed herself off the branch and walked towards them. She walked the scorched earth before standing over the two.

"Seer would be angry if I left you both like this... Be glad you kept my interest or else I'd have left you to your fate!"

She kneeled down and smiled.

"Perhaps you can be useful to us... If not then it will be fun to watch you struggle."

The darkness drew closer and danced around him. The great lake was now dried to the bone. A red moon overhead offered no light. The earth started to swallow him up as the air left his lungs. As he gasped for air the darkness gripped him and all that was left was the bitter cold.

"One day you'll remember Bell... When that day comes you won't be able to run or hide!"

His mouth was sealed shut. He couldn't fight back. All he could do was listen.

"You've earned this brief respite for your actions, but remember as long as you forget the truth... The more pain I'll inflict..."

A brief pause ensued as the bitter cold dissipated.

"Hmmm seems she's close... This is your opportunity to redeem yourself Bell... Protect her and keep her close... You may not know it now but she means more to us you know. But perhaps your starting to see, to understand that..."

The cold disappeared and it was replaced with a warm feeling, he knew it well. He had started to want it more and more... But why?

"Time to wake up pretender..."

Bell slowly opened his eyes, it took him a moment to realise but he wasn't laid on the floor face down in the dirt. Rather he was in his tent. His body wasn't in any pain or discomfort. But even if it was he didn't care. One thing and one thing only was on his mind.

'Artemis...' It was like a horrible dream come true. He watched helplessly as she risked her life to help him. He failed to protect her... He clenched his fist, the moment she was flung to the floor he felt so angry...

'I... I failed! Gods why... Why am I so weak!'

His emotions flared up as he played back the scene over and over. His fist was still clenched as he felt the anger boil over at his failure.

'What am I supposed to tell Hestia... It doesn't matter she's gonna hate me no matter what!'

He looked to his side and found a piece of paper, he was confused but he decided to look. The writing was rushed but he could make it out to be a letter of sorts.

*LETTER*

Dear Little Rookie

While you don't know me know you've done me a great service. The monsters in this forest had all but been eradicated but a couple still remain. As you are the one that finally ended the scourge I have deemed fit to reward you.

Your friend is safe and in good health. I healed both of you shortly after your fight. While I'm not super experienced Ive managed to reverse most the damage. Your friend was much more fortunate only suffering a small head injury. I've returned the two of you to your camp. Considering the damage you did with your flames I'm glad you didn't burn the whole forest down.

Consider your healing and friends safety significant payment. Besides I'm sure you'll receive something better when you wake up..

Till next we meet.