Chapter Twelve

"Come with us, as we explore the wonders of the open ocean." Once again the intercom went off as Hank held Dory in a cup and climbed up the giant globe.
"Alright, follow me!" Dory said.
"You're in a cup." Hank looked at her as he camoflauged.
"Right! I'll follow you then." Dory said as he climbed up. He then climbed up a banner and onto the dolphins. He than continued hopping over the dolphins but stopped and turned over.
"Wait..." Hank looked at a giant sign across from the Open Ocean.
"An...octopus has three hearts. Huh, that's a fun fact." Dory smiled as Hank sighed and continued on. He climbed up and over and was soon right over the top of the Open Ocean exhibit.
"We're here! This is-this is really happening!" Dory smiled excitedly. Hank shushed her and opened the top of the cup.

Dory looked down in excitement and worry.
"Well, looks like this is it, kid. Now I've got a truck to catch." Hank held out a tentacle.
"Wait! I had something for you." Dory looked around, trying to remember what she had to give him.
"...Tag." Hank smiled and pointed to her tag.
"The tag! Right!" Dory took off the tag and handed it to him. He looked at the tag and then back at Dory.
"You know...I think I'm gonna remember you." Dory smiled at Hank. He smiled and blushed.
"Aw, you'll forget me in a heartbeat, kid. Well...three heartbeats...I'm gonna have a hard time forgetting you though." Hank told her truthfully.
Dory smiled and the exhaled deeply as she looked back down at the Open Ocean.
"My parents are actually down there." Dory said. She then thought for a moment, slightly not ready to go in.
"Um...you okay?" Hank asked her. She took a deep breathe and nodded.
"I'm ready." Dory told him. He smiled.
"Yeah...I think you are." Hank then tipped the cup over and watched as Dory fell into the Open Ocean. It was really beautiful but Dory had to focus on her task.
"Okay...Okay..." Dory swam down to the enormous group of fish swimming around in a circle.
"Hi there. Have you seen a Mom and a Dad? Without me?" Dory asked a yellow and brown fish but he didn't care as he swam away.
"Hi, have you seen a couple? They're old like you-...not old like you but-" Dory asked a couple but they were both offended and swam away. She than swam up to a green and blue fish with his kid.
"Hi, do you know anybody who lost a kid? A long time ago? That would be me?" The green and blue fish just smiled nervously, held his child and quickly swam ahead. Dory turned over only to be hit by a giant flat fish. She apologized as she got swerved around by a bunch of kids. Her attention then went down to the shell laying in the sand. Dory gasped slightly and swam down towards it.
"It's our job to make sure that all of these fish will eventually return home. To where they belong." Sigourney said over the intercom.

Dory looked down at the shell and wiped away the sand on it.
"Shells..." She muttered to herself as she saw illusions of her as a baby, Jenny, Charlie and her sister.
"And here we go!" Charlie set down the shell.
"Now if you ever get lost, girls-" Charlie explained but Jenny finished for him.
"You just follow the shells." She told baby Dory and Sebrina.
"Hey look, shells!" Dory cheered as she laughed and the illusions followed the shells.
"Follow the shells." Dory started following them as well.
They all then came up to some tall grass.
"Hey, I live there." Baby Dory said.
"Yes! Yes indeed!" Charlie told her as they swam in the grass.
"*Gasp!* My home! That's my home!" Dory got excited and swam in.
"Mom! Dad!" Dory shouted, thinking they were there. Their home looked just like she remembered as illusions of her baby self and her parents were there but no sign of her actual parents.
As she looked around, she found the little area where she and her sister used to talk to Destiny.
"Mom?...Dad?...Sis?..." Dory asked again. Nobody was there.
She than continued looking around until she saw another shell sitting outside of the seaweed. As Dory swam to it, she realized it was a purple she'll! She wiped the sand away.
"Mommy loves purple shells...*gasp!*" Dory than realized what happened.

*Flashback*

"🎶Hoo hoo hoo hoo ho ho hoo. Hoo ho ho hoo ho ho-" Baby Dory stopped once she heard her mom crying down below.
"Mommy?" Baby Dory asked quietly.
"*Sob* Do you think she can make it on her own, Charlie?" Jenny sobbed.
"*Yawn* What's going on?" Sebrina whispered to Dory as she woke up.
"Mommy's upset-" Dory stopped once she saw a purple shell sitting on front of the seaweed.
"Mommy loves purple shells." Dory muttered as she bravely swam down to the shell as Sebrina followed.
Once they got to the shell, they both tried using their tails to pick it up. Jenny and Charlie realized this and freaked out.
"DORY! SEBRINA!" They both called out.
"Mommy?" Both girls asked in sync. Suddenly, Dory was blown away by the gust and blown into the pipes as she screamed.
"DORY!" The three shouted. Sebrina immediately swam into the gust and followed Dory.
As both girls were whisked away into the pipes, Sebrina almost reached Dory but was blown away into a different pipe and far away from Dory.

*Flashback ends*

"...My family....I lost them all..." Dory slowly looked towards the pipes sadly in realization.
"It was all my fault..." She mumbled in sadness.

...

"Where's your tag?" Somebody asked. Dory turned around, confused. She than looked down and saw two little crabs.
"Your tag! It's missing! That why your not in quarantine?" The female crab asked.
"Quarantine?" Dory asked, confused.
"Yeah, that's where they took ALL the blue tangs! Isn't that right, Bill?" The female crab looked up at the male crab, who was clipping the grass of a rock.
"Yep, all the blue tangs are getting their OWN exhibit in CLEVELAND! Getting a trip in the truck at the crack of dawn. Must be nice." He muttered the last part.
"What? My parents are in quarantine?! They're being shipped to Cleveland?! But, I-i just got here! I've got to find them! They don't know I'm here!" Dory explained.
"Don't worry. It's easy to get to quarantine. You can just go through the pipes, honey." The female crab pointed to the entry way to the pipes. Dory would forget where she was going if she went in there.
"Oh boy...I-i can't do that..." Dory stuttered.
"Why not?" The female crab asked.
"I'll forget where I'm going....and I can't be somewhere where I'll have no one to help me." Dory explained to the female crab.
"Well then I guess you're stuck here." The male muttered.
"You're not helping, Bill!" The female scolded him.
"Just go in there if you want to. You'll be fine." She told Dory.
She continued to look at the pipes, nervous to go by herself.
"Could you...could you tell me how to get there...t-through the pipes?" Dory looked down at the crabs.
"It's easy, darling. It's two lefts and then a right. Simple." The female explained.
Dory slowly and hesitantly swam up to the entrance to the pipes.
"Two lefts and a right. I can do this...two lefts and a right... don't forget..." Dory kept telling herself as she went closer.
She than wedged herself in and began her journey in the pipes.