💀 AKIRA (1982 - 1999)

Author: Katsuhiro Otomo

Artist: Katsuhiro Otomo

Genre: Action, Sci-fi, Supernatural

Status: Completed

Chapters: 120

Synopsis:

31 years after a mysterious black explosion hit Tokyo during World War III comes the rise of Neo-Tokyo. A fusion of towering skyscrapers and cutting-edge technology that is home to biker gangs, poverty, and revolutionaries.

The story is centered around two bikers who are the best of friends and the fiercest of rivals who eventually split up when one of them became desperate to prove himself to be superior. In an attempt to do so, a stunt was accidentally pulled that culminates the awakening of a cryptic existence that threatens Neo-Tokyo — the awakening of a government secret, Akira.

Review:

***WARNING: NOT FOR KIDS, WEAK-HEARTED, AND NARROW-MINDED***

If you got disappointed with the movie, I suggest you stick to the manga. It has more depth and I REALLY like the details considering it is an ink-and-paper manga. You'll know more about Akira, you'll see more deaths, more detailed explanation about the sht that's happening in Neo Tokyo, and you'll be introduced to more psychics than you need.

I just watched this to join the bandwagon since it inspired many good-ass Hollywood films. I must say it wasn't a waste of time. I admire the author for his out-of-this-world ideas. He's definitely ahead of his time.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐