Chapter 5

For the past two days now, Ashton has been asking me to spend the night with him. And every god damn time, he would always bring up that it was just my fear. Of course it infuriated me, that's why I would do it. I mean it's not like he's complaining.

When I woke up today, I felt some sort of excitement run through me. Today was the day when the she-wolves all have brunch together, and I was over the moon to she Lana. Even if there is a slight chance that she wasn't chosen, I'm still very hopeful. Brunch starts at 11:30, and Ashton said it was supposed end at 1:00.

He said he was going to drop me off, but even I knew he would do more than that. He would more than likely speak with Alpha Calaban about protecting me, show me off to the other males that drop off their mates, and who knows - he might even make a lecture about how no one is to touch or harm me or he would kill them.

Look, I understand why he does it, but it really gets annoying. I mean whenever we go out or something, he has to make sure that everyone knows not to mess with him, and that I'm his. But what I don't understand is the fact that I don't know if he's only with me because he needs a pup, or if he actually found me to be interesting. And I don't intend on asking him or even getting an answer out of him. It's really just pointless.

I made sure to make breakfast and lunch for Ashton before we left. He tried several times to start conversations with me but I just wasn't in it. I didn't feel like talking to him. I didn't want to talk to him. Not after all of my doubts about him choosing me as his mate. And see, if he just told me why he chose me, this wouldn't be a problem.

Right now, we're in the car on the way to the brunch. And once again, he tries to start a conversation with me. "So, are you gonna tell me why you're ignoring me, or do I have to guess?" He asks this a very mocking tone. I turn away from him, crossing my arms across my chest, while fixing my attention of what's happening outside my window. "Ok well, if I were to guess, would it be because I'm making you sleep with me?" I sneer at his guess. That doesn't matter to me at all.

"Ok I guess not. So than tell me love." He reaches his hand out to me and strokes my my head. I slap his hand away, wanting very badly to not see him or hear him right now. He let's out a chuckle; amused.

"You blow hot and cold with me all the time with me love." I roll my eyes at his comment, and shift in my seat. "I don't know how long you plan on ignoring me, but I must tell you, it won't be forever. That's a promise." He says seductively in my ear, and it makes me shift even more in my seat -feeling uncomfortable.

Suddenly I feel the car start to slow down, than come to a stop. Finally. I see that there are three long tables, with a huge tarp on top, providing shade. I than notice another table with a bunch of food and drinks on it. Its set up in an open field of grass, on the out skirts of the forest. I see lots of females and some males standing at a distance, watching impassive. A small smile comes to my face, and I open my door to get out.

"Wait!" Suddenly my mood changes to annoyance really quickly. But I stop anyways curious as to what he wants me to wait for. Ashton appears at my door, and offers his hand. I take it for one second to get out, than drop it insanely. I start heading down the hill we parked on, towards the "party". But of course, Ashton catches up to me, and takes hold on my wrist. I try to get out if his grip, but he just holds my wrist tighter.

I breathe out a frustrated sigh, and glare at him. I wrench my wrist out if his grip, than unwillingly take hold of his strong and muscular arm. We walk down the hill, and eyes turn to us. They look more fearful than anything, and they low their eyes and heads. Than I suddenly catch familiar brown eyes - Lana.

I notice a hint of bitterness and coldness in her eyes. Is it her mate? Does she not what to be her? I'll just ask now anyways. A small smile lights my face, as I let go of Ashton's arm, and almost run towards Lana. But Ashton holds me back. I refuse to look at him, but I can feel his eyes burning holes through me. "Fine, whatever, seeing as you don't want me here or anywhere near you for that matter, I'm gonna go to work instead of waiting for you!" He hisses this in annoyance and in anger. He then let's go of my arm, and I watch him - out of the corner if my eye - walk back towards the car. He didn't even say to tell him if anything happens, does me ignoring him really make him that mad?