ℂℍ𝔸ℙ𝕋𝔼ℝ 𝟙𝟟

"Coach, could you put me from the start in the next game?"

He gained the attention of the team who had never heard Kuroko ask for something like that.

"What? You're suddenly motivated?" Kise asked, genuinely surprised.

"What, in fact, happened, Kuroko?" Midorima asked, looking up from his seat.

Sanada looked at Kuroko. He wasn't overly physical about his surprise, but Mamoru saw his fingers twitch when Kuroko "appeared" by him. "Do you have a particular reason?"

"Yes."

It wasn't the game Ogiwara was in, not yet.

But the two of them knew Ogiwara was watching, hence why Kuroko wanted to show off.

Despite how big of a point difference there was, Kuroko didn't smile. No one smiled on the court, giving a grim appearance.

He was suddenly aware of his leg bouncing on the floor. Mamoru set a hand on his knee and forced his knee to stop, much to Nijimura's amusement.

No one saw it coming.

One of the opponents held the ball high up in the air away from his mark, Midorima. He brought his arm down, possibly to pass the ball.

But Kuroko, anticipating that, darted in to smack the ball away from his hands.

He didn't mean it, Mamoru was sure. Kuroko often disappeared from their sights and it was a high-pace game.

His elbow hit Kuroko's temple hard as it came down and the blue-haired boy sprawled to the ground, motionless.

Nijimura blinked and Mamoru was gone from his seat. He bolted towards Kuroko and kneeled next to him, ignoring the shout of the referee for him to get off the court.

"Kuroko," he said urgently, hands hovering his head. Was that blood? Head wounds bleed a lot, right? He was alright, wasn't he?

Momentarily, he saw Maiko on the floor, white hair stained red. He saw his father standing over her body, holding his hand with a terrified look and a broken vase next to her where she'd hit her head.

He didn't realize how bad he was shaking until Akashi placed a hand on his shoulder. Mamoru's head tilted up, eyes wide. "Go with Satsuki," Akashi ordered gently. "Stay with Kuroko."

Satsuki's small hands curled under his arm and he stood up woodenly to avoid having her trying to lift his frame up. "Let's go, Moru-kun," she whispered, gently leading him away from the court.

The crowd sounds died down as they made their way into the medical room. Mamoru dimly felt Satsuki's hand curled around his. He felt her fingers trembling as she watched the medical personnel tend to Kuroko.

"He's gonna be alright," Satsuki murmured, voice dipping with emotion. "He's gonna be alright now."

He wasn't sure if she was trying to convince him or herself.

He's okay, that's what matters.

But was he really?

Mamoru patted Satsuki's hand as they waited for someone to say it was alright for them to enter the room. They didn't move away from his door, choosing to stay near Kuroko's side rather than the game when they knew the ending.

"Excuse me." Mamoru's head lifted from his pointed gaze at the ground. Ogiwara approached them looking worried. "Is Kuroko-kun here?"

"Yes," Mamoru answered. "But he's not awake yet."