ℂℍ𝔸ℙ𝕋𝔼ℝ 𝟛𝟠

"Hinata, go further back!"

Mamoru glanced at Hinata in the back row, obviously not paying attention. His danger instincts tingled and he darted towards Hinata, hand outstretched.

He was too late.

The ball Asahi spiked pelted Hinata full-force on the forehead. Mamoru was barely in time to catch Hinata by the collar to prevent him from slamming the back of his head on the floor. He didn't need two head injuries.

Mamoru laid Hinata down on the floor gently, tapping Hinata's cheeks to make sure he wasn't unconscious. Asahi had a lot of power behind his spikes. If Hinata didn't have some sort of injury, Mamoru would eat natto with Ayano.

To his relief, Hinata made a groaning noise and put his hands on his bright red forehead.

"Hinata," Asahi cried out, looking horrified. He and the others had circled around, worried.

"Hey, he's alive," Tanaka noted, almost surprised.

"You okay," Nishinoya asked, squatting by Hinata's head.

Hinata sat up so fast, he collided with Mamoru. Surprised by the sudden movement, Mamoru was pushed backwards and he hissed from the flat pain on his forehead. He ended up tumbling on Asahi's legs, almost bowling him backwards.

"Ah, I'm sorry!" Hinata screeched.

Mamoru waved a hand, his other hand rubbing his flushed forehead. He scooted off Asahi's feet. It didn't really hurt, not like anything else he'd experienced anyways. It surprised him more than hurt. "I'm alright. Are you?"

"I'm alright," Hinata reassured, a hand on the back of his head. Now looking at it, Mamoru realized he was more embarrassed than hurt.

"Really?" Daichi asked doubtfully. "Maybe you should sit out to be on the safe side."

"I-I'm really alright," Hinata exclaimed, giving pleading eyes to his captain. "I didn't dodge it in time, that's all! It's nothing serious. I'm used to taking hits to the face."

Mamoru's hand lightly pushed against Hinata's forehead, brushing up his bright hair. He double checked his pupils, if he was unfocused (from the hit), or if Hinata seemed like he was in pain. He pressed on the flushed skin just to make sure.

"That's not a good thing," Sugawara said, smiling wryly. He placed his hands on his knees, leaning forward out of relief.

Hinata laughed weakly as Mamoru retracted his hand. Both of them flinched at the menacing stare Kageyama directed towards Hinata.

While Kageyama berated Hinata about not paying attention and focusing more on himself rather than the ace, Asahi approached Mamoru.

"Are you okay?" He asked worriedly. Probably without thinking, Asahi put his hand on Mamoru's forehead and pushed up his white hair. "You took quite a blow too."

Mamoru froze like a deer in the headlights. He was surprised Asahi actually initiated the conversation and that he had touched him so suddenly.

"I-I'm alright, Asahi-san," Mamoru reassured, blinking out of his surprise. Asahi didn't answer, seemingly lost in thought. "Asahi-san?"

"Ah, sorry," Asahi yelped, pulling his hand away. "You have very pretty eyes," he added shyly, rubbing the back of his head.

"Thank you, Asahi-san," Mamoru said softly, dipping his head. His bangs fringed his eyes and he was glad Asahi trotted back to his team. He didn't catch the scowl on Mamoru's face.