ℂℍ𝔸ℙ𝕋𝔼ℝ 𝟙𝟘

Kise was a ball of energy and a crackle of lightning.

He also got on Mamoru's nerves.

All of them.

"Look! I did it! Are you proud of me?!" Kise leaned in close, eagerly awaiting praise.

"No, I didn't see," Mamoru lied. "Do it again."

Kise whined, but did as he asked.

He was so...Mamoru wanted to scream sometimes. He didn't look to Kuroko as much when it came to basketball. Even though he was told that Kuroko was showing him the ropes as well, he still followed Mamoru.

It was evident he didn't respect Kuroko as a basketball player.

Until he saw his passes.

Then he accepted Kuroko as his trainer.

"So Haizaki quit? Guess it can't be helped," Aomine shrugged. Mamoru thought the same, though he was happier on the inside.

"Isn't that a bit cold-hearted?" Kuroko asked hesitantly.

Aomine looked at him and restated, "If you talking to him didn't help, then it can't be helped."

"Haizaki is full of pride," Midorima chipped in, not looking at Kuroko. "If we or our senpai talked to him, it would have the opposite effect."

"But-"

"Jeez," Nijimura said exasperatedly. "Don't be naïve. We're teammates, but at the same time, we're rivals."

Maybe Kuroko was unwilling to think that way, but it didn't change the fact that's how the team was. Mamoru saw the way everyone played and quite frankly, he didn't see any wrong with playing individually.

Aomine and Kuroko and him were still friends, so what did it matter?

"When'd you get so great that you can worry about others? If you have the time to look back, go run!"

Kuroko's downhearted face made him snarl under his breath. He was only looking out for his team, even if Haizaki was an ass. Nijimura didn't need to attack him for thinking about others.

"Gather up!" Sanada stood in front of the gaggle of students. "It's less than 2 months 'til the qualifiers. The coach will oversee you now."

Ah, the coach. Kuroko and Mamoru hadn't seen him yet since they were recently inducted into the 1st string.

Murasakibara let out a quiet "Eeeeeehhhh?" while Aomine sighed. "For real?"

Kuroko looked up at Aomine like a child would look to their mother. "Um, what kind of person is he?"

Aomine turned his head to look at him and Mamoru. "Oh, that's right. You two haven't met him yet.

"That's true." Aomine stiffened and choked on air. "Then I guess I should introduce myself."

A tall, older man settled a warm hand on Mamoru's and Kuroko's shoulders with a friendly smile. "I'm Kuzo Shirogane, the coach. Nice to meet you, Kuroko-kun, Mamoru-kun."

"How do you know our names?" Kuroko asked curiously, twisting his head to look up at him.

"Naturally, I know all my players' names," he clarified, looking proud. He passed by them, the sea of students parting the way.

He held so much power. Mamoru already felt so much authority from the man, it made him tremble. Shirogane wasn't the coach for nothing. If Sanada was bad, he was most likely even worse.