ℂℍ𝔸ℙ𝕋𝔼ℝ 𝟝𝟠

"Oh, I've missed you two!"

Claire beamed and let Maiko crash into her embrace. Maiko squeezed back, smiling widely. Mamoru felt a turmoil of emotions swirl in his chest as he watched Maiko embrace Claire like they were daughter and mother. If they were, they might have had a better life.

No, he was not going to cry.

"How have you two been doing?" Claire smiled, ruffling Maiko's hair affectionately. "Oh, I want to hear all about this Goshiki-kun of yours."

What? Mamoru almost dropped his mouth in shock. A boy? Already?

"And you," Claire added, brightening. Her face softened just a tad more, and she brought her close to him. Quietly, she said, "It's okay to cry, if you want."

Mamoru breathed in the Hana Hiraku perfume she liked to wear so much, surprised at the sudden onslaught of emotions. The soft, fragrant smell made him think of clouds and sitting in a field of flowers.

Wouldn't that have been a wonderful life.

"I missed you," he croaked quietly. Dammit, he said no crying.

"I know."

No, you don't. Mamoru's throat tightened, ashamed when he thought of a rebuttal. You sent us away, so how could you understand?

But she was doing what she thought was right. He was learning the world wasn't black and white. She had spoiled them rotten when they were with her, and Claire's intentions were pure, though perhaps a little more communication should be emphasized.

Ayano waved goodbye to them as she drove off, having had to travel somewhere in Tokyo for business, hence the weekend trip to Claire's.

"Come on, I found a new place that makes really good kitsune udon*."

Even the cloud hanging over his head couldn't keep a ray of sunshine from him. At least for a few minutes, he felt his thoughts make peace as he followed his aunt to her car.

──── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ────

For all his years in the basketball club, even Maiko had picked up a little bit of interest in the sport.

Which was why they were at a 5v5 street basketball fair. But to his surprise, her animated figure stopped suddenly and she tilted her head.

"Moru...isn't that Kuroko-kun?"

It wasn't really a question. You could hardly mistake Kuroko's hair color to be someone else's besides his family members which assumedly had the same hair color.

Kuroko, who had surprisingly keen hearing (when he wanted to), turned around and blinked. "Hello, Mamoru-kun."

Taiga whirled around like he'd been poked. His eyes lit up. "Moru! Great, you can play with us on the 5v5!"

Mamoru felt like this was progressing too fast, so he had to ask, "Wouldn't you already have five members?"

"Kawahara-san is out with a cold," Kuroko said blandly. "You don't have to, Mamoru-kun."

Of course he would say that. Kuroko had been there with him during middle school, so it made sense he watched him with a knowing gaze.

"I..." Maiko tugged on his shirt, just a small movement that reminded him she was here. He steeled his resolve and nodded. "I suppose one game couldn't hurt."