ℂℍ𝔸ℙ𝕋𝔼ℝ 𝟙𝟠

They spent their time with Claire for the next couple of days packing their things in boxes. Apparently, someone from Miyagi was coming to drive them there, which meant they would part at Claire's house.

She managed to take some time off from work and spent the days at sweets shops (she'd discovered Mamoru had a fondness for sweets when he tried daifuku for the first time), toy stores, book stores.

Unaware of the tension between basketball and him, she stopped by a sports shop and purchased a basketball to take with him.

On a whim, she purchased a volleyball too. Her friend used to be in the volleyball team and was quite good at it, even going as far to play recreationally still. She only had one daughter to play with, but knowing her, she could persuade Maiko and Mamoru to try it.

After all, she managed to get Claire into volleyball too.

She emerged from the shop holding a large gift bag and met up with the two children sitting in front Sakura Bakery.

"How is it?" Claire asked, accepting a piece that Maiko tore off for her. "This is one of my favorite bakeries. I love their products."

Mamoru quietly ate his sakura anpan, which had an odd taste. The cherry blossoms were almost salty and sour, but it was counteracted with the sweetness of the red bean paste.

It was surprisingly good.

"It's good," he nodded, swallowing first. Consciously, he wiped his mouth with the baby pink napkin. It was a cute shop, being cherry blossom themed, but it was a little too much pink for him.

"Ready to go?" Claire asked, shifting the bag in her hand. They stood up and walked with her, back to her house.

"Claire?" Maiko looked up at her aunt, smiling shyly. "Thank you."

"Aw, for what, honey?" Claire patted her head with a free hand. "It's the least I can do," she added, a sad tinge to her words.

As the house appeared, the sounds of the busy Tokyo streets disappeared. Claire slowed down and set the bags on the ground to grab her keys, only to pat her pockets with a frantic look. "Oh no! I must have taken out the keys back at the shop with my wallet!"

Mamoru sighed. Claire was forgetful sometimes, which wasn't really a good thing. Though it was funny to see her looking for her reading glasses when it was perched on her head.

"I'll go see if it's still there," Mamoru offered. It wasn't really an offer. He just wanted to run because his legs had been itching to move all day. His hand was already in his pocket, curling around the iPhone (Claire gave them both an iPhone when she realized it would be a lot more helpful to contact them than shouting) and earbuds.

He jogged off, placing the earbuds in his ears and making his way back to the crowded streets. Something soft made itself known as the piano joined in with the violin. There were no words, but it was soothing.

Mamoru ran at a constant pace, watching his surroundings. He found himself in the sports shop where he saw Claire come out of and headed inside, slipping the earbuds out. As the door closed, the outside noises dimmed.

"Welcome!" The desk clerk exclaimed. It didn't match his face, which looked insanely tired. He had dark bags under his eyes that Mamoru could see from where he was. "Can I help you?"

"Ah, yes. My aunt may have dropped her keys here. She has silver hair," Mamoru explained briefly, checking the floor. A rolling dust bunny made his lips curve downwards.

So dusty...

"Oh, yeah. I found them on the floor beside the basketballs," he nodded, ducking under the counter. Mamoru's brows furrowed at that note. He brought out a ring with several keys on it and a tiny Totoro figurine on it. "This hers?"