ℂℍ𝔸ℙ𝕋𝔼ℝ 𝟜𝟜

They ended up stretching outside the gym, getting ready for their next match.

Mamoru sat in the corner, his back against the wall. He was beginning to feel restless. His leg was tapping to an unheard beat and his fingers tapped against the floor like there were ivory and ebony colored keys beneath him.

"Karasuno really is amazing."

"That #10 really freaked me out."

Hinata stood up quickly, a dopey look on his face. Mamoru's face softened at the content look Hinata displayed. Knowing he was belittled in middle school, Mamoru knew the boy was basking in the attention.

Kageyama gave Hinata a shrewd stare.

"Wh-what? I'm allowed to be happy!" Hinata protested indignantly. "No one's ever said that kind of stuff about me."

"Did I say anything?" Kageyama gave him a very disturbing, sly smile. "It's great you're getting noticed. The more our opponents notice you and get defensive around you, the more you can tap into your potential."

The rest was lost on Mamoru, who drifted in and out of focus. A pair of legs stood in front of him and he lifted his head to see Ennoshita. "Want some help stretching? Not that you need it, but I just thought-"

"I wouldn't mind," Mamoru interrupted him as politely as he could. Ennoshita was rambling indicating he was nervous, though he couldn't understand why he was nervous.

So Ennoshita stepped behind him (Mamoru scooted forward to give him room) and Mamoru stretched out his legs at a 90 degree angle.

The initial touch startled him even though he knew it was only Ennoshita. But contrary to his father's hands, Ennoshita's were gentle and languid. He pushed on his back slowly, forcing Mamoru to lower his front to the floor.

Coach Ukai's voice brought him out of his reverie. They stood up from the floor to stand in a half circle around their coach. "We'll be using the same starting lineup for Round 2 as we did for Round 1.

There were multiple emotions that flitted through himself.

One was disappointment. There was a rush of dismay that he wasn't chosen as a starting player. Was he not strong enough? Should he have been faster? What was he doing wrong?

Funny enough, most of the disappointment was directed on Sugawara's behalf. As Karasuno's official setter and a third-year, he must have felt something akin to sorrow, though he had been prepared for such a decision.

The second emotion was jealousy. Mamoru wanted to run. He wanted to jump, to spike, to score a point. His limbs itched to do something.

The third emotion was relief. Mamoru wasn't sure he could play right if he knew Akashi was scrutinizing his every move.

If numbness was an emotion, it would have been the fourth. There was an odd sense of acceptance, though he was a little disappointed. Mamoru couldn't bring himself to actually care about Ukai's decision.

Mamoru frowned. Perhaps he wasn't doing well enough to care. He would have to work harder.

"The next match is at 1:30pm," Daichi informed them, looking at the paper in his hand. "Don't let yourselves cool down."

"Have a light meal before that time," Ukai added. "Don't fill up."

"Yes, sir!"

They split up to have a small meal and to keep their muscles warm. Mamoru deviated from the group, finding himself in an empty hall. There was a vending machine up ahead, so he made his way there.