ℂℍ𝔸ℙ𝕋𝔼ℝ 𝟜𝟠

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ♫ ⋅.} ───── ⊰

Steel to my trembling lips

How did the night ever get like this?

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ♫ ⋅.} ───── ⊰

Mamoru sat outside the house, silently enjoying the crisp morning air. The sun wasn't even over the horizon, but there were streaks of light peeking from the horizon.

He breathed out, watching his breath crystallize and dissipate into the air. There was something childish about doing it again and again, but he didn't care. He was alo-

The door behind him unlocked and he jumped up, startled at the sudden noise. Maiko's pale face peeped out from the inside and Mamoru relaxed.

"Can I join you?" She asked quietly, dipping her head. "On your run? I promise I'll try to keep up-"

"No need," Mamoru murmured, patting her head affectionately. He really wasn't supposed to be running, but he couldn't sit still. "I'm only jogging."

Maiko smiled and stepped out into the cold air, shivering slightly. She was wearing black leggings with pockets and a baggy purple long-sleeved shirt. He could see the earbud wire snaking up from the pocket to hanging out from her shirt collar.

"I wanted to spend some time with you," she admitted as they walked off the Nakajima's property. "I feel like it's been a while since we've actually spent time with each other."

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ♫ ⋅.} ───── ⊰

I've been standing here my whole life

Everything I've seen twice

Now it's time I realized

It's spinning back around now

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ♫ ⋅.} ───── ⊰

For a quick second, Mamoru felt guilty. He'd been neglecting Maiko.

"You haven't been neglecting me," Maiko chirped, sending him a cheeky smile. "I just wanted to do something with you that wasn't just talking."

"You hate running," Mamoru pointed out.

"I do," Maiko admitted sheepishly. "But I figured it was time to start getting in shape."

There was something Maiko wasn't telling him that pushed her into this, but she didn't elaborate. Mamoru left it alone.

"Do you want something before we start?" Mamoru asked quietly, noting the open bakery shop.

Maiko was staring at the pastel building fondly, noting the loopy cursive on the door. "No. Remember Claire's favorite bakery? It's the same kind."

At the same time, the glass door slammed open and a disheveled face appeared. "Mamoru! Great! Come help me!"

Before either of them could say anything, Yori grabbed Mamoru's wrist and hauled him inside, Maiko following like a lost puppy.

Two girls standing in front of the cash register gawked at them, surprised. Yori gave them a sweet smile. "I'll be right with you."

He dragged Mamoru to the back where he pointed to the broken step stool. "I need that, but I'm too short."