ℂℍ𝔸ℙ𝕋𝔼ℝ 𝟛𝟟

He was on Daichi's team.

Daichi was the only third-year with Tanaka being the only second-year. Mamoru donned on the yellow sports bib, rubbing the faded cloth.

13.

That wretched number seemed to haunt him everywhere he went.

His scowl was not unnoticed by Tsukishima, who was to his left, but he said nothing. He only gave the boy a side glance.

"They definitely have an intimidating pressure," Daichi noted, surveying the other team.

Mamoru did the same, analyzing what he could. The other team was composed of the four adults, whose experience outweighed everyone on the court. They also had some of the upperclassmen, who had more experience than the first-years placed on one team.

But their team had the strength in their youth and recent experience.

"Let's do this, high schoolers," the blond man challenged good-naturedly.

Mamoru lowered his stance slightly, body thrumming with hidden excitement.

──── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ────

He threw his body on the floor, sliding for the ball. But he didn't manage to dig it properly and the ball ricocheted out of court.

Mamoru snarled under his breath, disappointed in himself.

"Don't mind," Daichi reassured, patting his back when he got back up.

Mamoru nodded, glancing at the opposing setter. Sugawara certainly wasn't Karasuno's setter for nothing. His quick attacks were tricky. He was an experienced setter, after all.

The neighborhood association was nothing to sneeze at either. Although they had a gap within experience and training, they still had more experience over all.

His gaze slid over to the ace, who was standing by himself with a forlorn face.

Mamoru frowned. Everyone could do everything they could for him, but eventually, Asahi would have to convince himself to come back.

He saw the nostalgia in his eyes and instantly knew Asahi would come back.

And then a random thought popped into his head. Would he go back to basketball?

There was no more time to think as the next rally started. Kageyama sent Hinata a quick toss.

Mamoru jumped high, playing the decoy this time. He wanted Asahi to see how Hinata fared now with his new teammates.

Hinata's spike sent the other side reeling, being on the opposing side of the attack.

"Nice, Hinata, Kageyama, Mamoru," Daichi called out, looking proud.

Why did he include him? He didn't do anything... Mamoru narrowed his eyes, confused, but dipped his head. In any case, he looked at Asahi, curious for his reaction.

He didn't get too much from him, but he got the feeling he was starting to see Hinata's story. Now what was left for Asahi to do was call for tosses since he'd been moseying around the court since the game started.

"Hinata, you serve next," Kageyama said, handing him the ball.

"That's what I want," he heard Asahi say with his keen ears. He clenched his hands into fists by his side, face determined. "No matter how many times I fail, I still want to spike."