ℂℍ𝔸ℙ𝕋𝔼ℝ 𝟛𝟜

"Daichi-senpai," he heard himself say in a small voice. Mamoru swallowed the anxiety. "I'll be outside."

The surrounding members within earshot gave him a surprised look at his meek voice. It didn't fit his stoic face, which was constantly smooth of emotions.

Without waiting for a response, Mamoru slipped outside the gym, entering the less populated area of the hallway. Slowly, he sat down on the bench, feeling numb.

𝙰𝚘𝚖𝚒𝚗𝚎: 𝙼𝚊𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚞

𝙰𝚘𝚖𝚒𝚗𝚎: 𝙰𝚗𝚜𝚠𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚍𝚊𝚖𝚗 𝚙𝚑𝚘𝚗𝚎

As composed as Mamoru was, he was still human. He was still young, still learning about social life.

He was honestly nervous.

Mamoru had left without a word. He'd avoided everyone up until graduation with the sole exception of Satsuki and Kuroko.

And now Aomine just wanted to talk to him?

He blew out a breath and closed his eyes, trying to regain some semblance of flat ground. Maybe he could igno-

𝙲𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝙸𝚗𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚒𝚗𝚐

𝙳𝚊𝚒𝚔𝚒 𝙰𝚘𝚖𝚒𝚗𝚎

𝙰𝚌𝚌𝚎𝚙𝚝      𝙳𝚎𝚌𝚕𝚒𝚗𝚎

Mamoru didn't say anything as he held the phone to his ear. Strangely, his hand was shaking.

"You finally picked up." Aomine's voice was a low drawl, almost angry under the disguise of tranquility. "I debated on ignoring you like you did, but I needed answers."

"What do you want me to say, Aomine-kun?" Mamoru asked thinly. "I don't have a specific answer for you."

"Why?"

"I don't understand your question," Mamoru answered quietly.

"Why did you leave?"

"It was not my choice," Mamoru replied. It was mostly the truth.

"Was avoiding us 'not your choice' too?" He asked, his voice lowering dangerously. "You and Tetsu, you both did."

"Kuroko-kun's actions did not influence me," Mamoru said tersely, hand tightening around his phone at the subtle implication. "They were my own choice, just as his was."

"Why didn't you tell us, Moru? Why were you avoiding us?" Aomine's voice had dropped to a softer tone, almost gentle. For a split second, Mamoru could almost imagine this Aomine as the Aomine he first met, who said anyone who played basketball couldn't possibly be a bad person. "What did we do wrong?"

What did we do wrong?

Mamoru's knuckles were white with how hard he was clenching his phone. How could they just act like they did nothing wrong after tearing down their opponents' morale? How could Aomine pretend like he didn't just leave Kuroko behind because of his "greatness"?

"I have to go," he said abruptly, interrupting whatever Aomine was going to say. "I'm busy."

"Moru, don't you dare-"

He hung up and held his breath, trying to contain his anger. He wished he wasn't here. Mamoru wished he was back in Tokyo with Aomine and Kuroko, playing basketball. Even better if Tatsuya and Taiga were here too.