23' Christmas Special

A/N: Before you comment on why I'm blatantly playing favorites, read the last chapter in this book. A lot will be explained. Pardon any typos, thank you.

NEKOMA // FUKURODANI

Christmas goes a little differently this year.

With winter break in full swing, Maiko and Mamoru find themselves back at Claire's, who's in full holiday mode. Garlands, ribbons, bells, and decorative holly everywhere. The front door has an atrociously luscious wreath with pinecones and fake birds.

Mamoru can't bring himself to dislike it because he's actually starting to feel the spirit. He's got a cup of peppermint mocha in his hand while throwing together a tree. It's one of those fake ones that you have to individually put the branches on the trunk.

It's in desperate need of repair—Claire wants to buy a new one—but it comes with four Christmas memories, going on a fifth, so no. Still, the fake green bristles that make up the pine needles are starting to invade his clothing.

"You know, we could buy a real tree one year," Claire coaxes, holding her own mug of hot chocolate. There's an abundant amount of whipped cream and peppermint sprinkles that mirrors his own. "Just saying."

"Even if the tree resembles a skeleton," Mamoru starts out, right as he shakes a branch and half the pine needles come off, "It'll last for another decade."

"Uh huh."

Maiko pulls out a string of lights, which were so tightly packed together, it comes out as a solid cube. Mamoru would offer to help, but Maiko attacks the cord with vicious determination. He leaves her alone with that. She's fine.

The spray paint at the metal hooks are rubbing off, so he makes a mental note to repaint them after Christmas is over. There are some branches missing, but they angle the tree so that you can't see them.

Then comes their favorite part. Decorating.

Mamoru pulls out a worn cardboard box labeled ornaments and opens it up. His face twists with horror as he pulls out an ugly elf ornament with misplaced googly eyes. His name is neatly printed behind it, a little faded with age.

"You still have this?"

Maiko flies to the box, abandoning her half-tangled mess and pulls out her reindeer, face lighting up. "And this too!"

"Oh, I keep all your stuff," Claire says smugly, peering into the box. "And it's cute, don't make that face."

Mamoru's face sours as he sets it down. He intends to burn it somewhere but the twinkle in Maiko's eyes tells him it's going to end up on the tree somehow.

Maiko reaches over for another box which is labeled "fragile". With the size of the box, Mamoru is sure that it's going to be heavier than the others, but his warning comes too late. Her fingers slip and it crashes to the ground with a chest-clenching rattle. At least half the box's contents must be broken judging by the noise.

She withdraws her gaze from the box to Claire with a watery look. "I'm-"

Claire holds up a hand cheerfully. "Those were so last year. Let's go buy new ones."

"You just want an excuse to buy something," Mamoru points out, carefully avoiding Maiko's teary face clearing up. They've learned that Maiko is less likely to be distraught if no one makes a big deal out of it. Less coddling, and more distraction. It's difficult to remember sometimes, as his instincts tell him to hide Maiko, but he knows it's time they grow and learn. "But they were ugly."

With that, they find themselves in front of the nearest store with the intention to buy ornaments. Or at least, that's Mamoru's, but it's clear to see Claire is going to go window shopping with Maiko until they end up purchasing other things.