ℂℍ𝔸ℙ𝕋𝔼ℝ 𝟙𝟜

Mamoru choked on air.

"It's not a life-threatening condition," Sanada said solemnly. His voice echoed in the empty gym, enhancing the hollowness. "However...unfortunately, he will not be able to return as Head Coach."

There wasn't even a whisper from the Generation of Miracles, who were the sole members in the gym besides Sanada. Mamoru never even thought about health issues with the elder. He had a bad feeling about this.

"Therefore, I will take over as Head Coach starting today." Sanada pushed up his glasses. "From tomorrow, we'll resume the practice menu we've been using until now. Got it?"

──── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ────

Nothing changed much in Shirogane's absence. He usually watched from the sidelines so there wasn't too much that he changed.

The practice game was where things started to fall.

Mamoru stood on the opposite side of Akashi with Murasakibara in the middle. His hands and stance were wide, ready to move or to pass.

Murasakibara looked at Akashi and Mamoru like he was debating his options. To both of their surprise, he dismissed both of them and made a slam dunk instead of going for a safer option.

As he made his way back to the center line, Akashi trotted up to him. "It's fine that you made it, but there were two guys on you."

"It would have been wiser to return it to me or Mamoru-kun to ensure scoring," Akashi continued, trailing next to the giant.

"Oh, really?" Murasakibara didn't even stop to talk to him. He barely turned his head to say, "It's fine. I landed the shot."

Mamoru frowned. Murasakibara was pretty strong. He was intimidatingly tall too, which scared the other team.

But he never would show such a dismissal look to Akashi, who was the captain and an authoritative figure.

Murasakibara was changing like Aomine.

In the locker room, Kise bounded up to the giant, ever the hyper enthusiast. "Murasakibara-cchi! Wasn't that shot just now amazing?"

"Hm, you think so?" He pulled his head back from the locker to glance at him. He pulled a bag of chips from his locker and looked up. "But somehow, I can't help it. Power just wells out. If I went full strength, I think I'd crush everyone."

"Even my teammates."

Mamoru felt an unwanted shiver run down his body. No weakness, he chided himself. Murasakibara wouldn't actually crush someone.

But maybe he was just trying to hang on the idea that things were still the same.

𝕎𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕒 𝕡𝕚𝕥𝕚𝕗𝕦𝕝 𝕥𝕙𝕠𝕦𝕘𝕙𝕥.

Everywhere Mamoru went, people were changing.

Midorima found he could shoot even farther than he thought. Basketballs littered the gym as Mamoru watched Midorima from the outside clench his hand.

He knew Midorima had learned his new limits from him. He'd sometimes catch Midorima watching him when he received the chance to shoot, especially during practice games.

Sanada appeared behind Mamoru, watching Midorima with something like regret. Mamoru looked at the current Head Coach.

In the beginning, Mamoru didn't like Sanada all that much. He was too stern, much unlike Shirogane, who was free and relaxed, though he was a devil when it came to basketball.