ℂℍ𝔸ℙ𝕋𝔼ℝ 𝟚𝟟

Hinata barely hit it.

But as luck would have it, the ball landed close to the net and Daichi couldn't get to it in time.

"That was close," Hinata wheezed, eyes wide with relief. "I almost missed it. It's out though."

Kageyama stiffened and whirled towards him. "What was that for?!"

"But the ball came to me!" Hinata interrupted, successfully startling Kageyama. "Forget about junior high. I'll take any toss I can get. Gratefully. I'll jump anywhere. I'll hit any ball. So-"

He placed a hand on his shirt, looked at Kageyama determinedly. "Toss it to me!"

"Hey, guys! Do you know how to do quick hits?!" Tanaka exclaimed, looking excited.

"Quick hit?"

"A fast attack like the one you just did," he explained loudly.

"Not at all," Hinata shook his head, looking a little confused. "All I've ever spiked are balls that are tossed high."

"But you just did it!" Tanaka reasoned. "And when you were in junior high, I saw you spike a missed toss by the beginner setter!"

"Huh? But I don't remember how I did it..."

So he was an instinctual person, Mamoru noted. Hinata tended to do things on impulse and instinct rather than thinking things through. It wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but that was how collisions happened, literally and figuratively.

"But I'll spike any toss," Hinata announced, looking determined. He whirled around to face Kageyama so fast, the setter took a step back in surprise. "You got that?"

"We've never gotten that coordinated," Kageyama argued, avoiding his gaze. "A fast attack is impossible."

Hinata stiffened and dropped his mouth in shock. He pointed an accusing finger at him. There's something weird about you! Your weakness is giving me the creeps! Weird!"

"Shut up."

Tsukishima grinned slyly as he called out, "It's not like you, king."

Hinata snapped at the tall blond, "I'll spike it past you, wait and see!"

He scoffed condescendingly. "Clearly, you're not cut out to be a spiker."

Tanaka gritted his teeth and made a move towards Tsukishima, but was stopped by Daichi.

"That's true," Hinata said quietly. "Even when I was in junior high, I would jump and jump, but I kept getting blocked. Height is needed for volleyball. No matter how high I jump, I can't get past their overwhelming height."

"But," Hinata added. "I know I want to become like that!"

Like what? What was he trying to be?

"So I don't care if I'm cut out for it or not. I'm going to do battle with this battle, win and win, and be on the court for as long as I can," Hinata declared, his face shining with earnest determination.

A realization struck Mamoru. From what he could piece together, both Kageyama and Hinata had a very similar goal.

To be on the court for as long as possible.

That was a goal both could work on.

Tsukishima sighed, more of a tired sigh than anything else. "But you don't have what it takes. This isn't a matter of psychology. You can't up height with feelings. If you could play libero, that would be a different matter."