28. New Life

As the night grows quiet, Cora wakes from her medically induced sleep. She slowly sits up, as she begins to focus on things around her, one sound is brought to her attention. Horses, screaming in immense pain. Throwing the covers off of herself, Cora jumps out of bed and ignores the pain radiating in her side.

Feeling a slight tugging sensation on her left arm, Cora looks down and see's an IV line attached to her arm. Not taking a second to think about what she is doing, Cora pulls the IV line out of her arm. Placing her right hand over the place where the IV line just was, Cora focuses and uses her powers to heal her arm.

Then, using her shifting power, Cora shifts into the outfit she had planned on wearing earlier in the day. The Gray t-shirt, black jeggings, combat boots, and dark orange flannel. Taking the flannel off, Cora loosely ties it around her waist.

Throwing her hair into a high pony tail, Cora walks to the door, but then stops. She knows that if she tries to walk out the door, she will surely be sent back to her room and someone will be tasked with guarding the door. Cora turns around and makes the decision, she'll just have to get out through the window. As she reaches the window, she stops and goes to her bedside table, picks up the book that is there, and then proceeds back to the window.

As Cora climbs into the window, the sound of the horses grows louder. Not taking another second to think about it, Cora jumps out the window and slides down the side of the castle. She lands on her feet once she reaches the ground. Running as fast as her feet will carry her, Cora heads for the barn. Once there, she uses her powers to open the barn door, and then closes it once she is inside.

"Ragnar? Gisli?" Cora asks, as she lights the single lantern that hangs by the barn door, the lanterns glow radiates through the whole barn. As she makes her way down the stalls, the noise from both horses becomes louder. Ragnar huffs, then jumps up and down as Cora approaches. Stepping up to Ragnar's stall, Cora puts her hand out so Ragnar can smell it. Not bothering to smell Cora's hand, Ragnar continues to jump and huff.

"What's the matter boy?" Cora asks and watches as Ragnar moves his head up and down pointing to Gisli's stall across the room from his.

"Somethings wrong with Gisli?" Cora asks, Ragnar nods his head and sneezes. Cora rushes across the barn and peaks in Gisli's stall, then gasps. Laying on her side, on the floor of her stall, Gisli huffs and whines. Immediately Cora opens the door to Gisli's stall. Gisli lifts her head when Cora enters the stall.

"What's the matter Gisli?" Cora asks as she looks over Gisli to see if she can find the source of Gisli's pain. Cora's eyes go wide as she see's something move down in Gisli's stomach as she breathes.

"Come on, Gisli. You have to get up." Cora says and Gisli slowly gets to her feet. Backing out of the stall, Cora backs all the way up to the riding arena. Just before reaching the gate of the riding area, Cora uses her powers to open the gate.

"That's it, come on. You can do it." Cora says as she encourages Gisli. Just as Cora gets Gisli in the arena, and keeps the gate open. The sound of the barn door opening makes Gisli jump and huff loudly.

"Whoa Gisli, whoa. It's okay, it's okay." Cora says placing herself right in front of Gisli. Gisli stops jumping and begins to pace in a small circle around Cora.

"What's going on in here?" Loki asks as he comes into full view of the riding arena. Loki's eyes go wide as he see's Cora standing in the arena with Gisli trotting around her. Cora keeps her focus on Gisli as Loki asks his question.

Loki watches as Gisli stops trotting around Cora and stands in front of her, then lays her head on Cora's shoulder. Cora strokes Gisli's mane, each time she begins to huff or shake her head. Ragnar becomes increasingly agitated each time Gisli huffs. Using her powers, Cora opens Ragnar's stall door. Once the door opens, Ragnar trots into the arena and over to Cora and Gisli. Cora then uses her powers to close the arena gate. As he stands in front of Cora, Ragnar butts her in the back with his head.