38. Deadly Birthday

Just as the sun rises high in the sky on Asgard, Cora's mind wonders as she sleeps. Her subconscious projects a version of herself outward that no one is able to see.

"Okay, I'm definitely dreaming this." Cora says as she looks at her body laying soundly in her bed and not the dungeon cell she had passed out in. Just as a ghost would do, Cora walks straight through her bedroom door.

"Now that is cool." Cora says as she walks down the hall and away from her room. As she walks the empty halls of the castle, Cora hears hushed whispers coming from the chambers of Odin and Queen Frigga.

"You must tell them. If they find out any other way, they will surely do something drastic." Queen Frigga says concern clearly coating her angelic voice. Peeking Cora's interest at what they could be talking about, Cora walks through the door and stays in the shadows.

"How do you expect me to tell them such sensitive information? Either way they both will do something drastic, we already know how Loki reacts to shocking news, but Adamaris we do not want her to lose control like Loki does." Odin says as he looks pulls back the curtains of the large window and stares out it.

"Well, we do know how Cora does after she's bottled up her emotions. Do you really want her to do something like that to you when she finds out the truth?" Queen Frigga asks as she walks over to Odin and places a hand on his arm.

"What are they talking about?" Cora asks herself, Queen Frigga looks behind her almost as though she heard Cora. Cora's eyes go wide and she covers her mouth.

"They will need to be told after the festivities are over. After all, we do not need the birthday girl to be in bad spirits at her own party." Odin says, Queen Frigga shakes her head.

"Being told ones mother is alive after all these years is not something she will take lightly." Queen Frigga says, Cora's eyes go wider, and nearly pop out of her head. She feels her mind begin to race and she backs out of Odin and Queen Frigga's chambers. She races back to her room and closes her eyes. She reopens her eyes and see's she is now laying in her bed.

Throwing the covers off, Cora hurls herself out of bed. Quickly getting dressed in a Peach colored Victorian inspired babydoll dress with a high-low skirt, Cora throws her hair into a messy braid, and puts on white wedged shoes. Her amulet and bracelet are the only accessories she puts on. Running out of her room, Cora runs down the hall as she tries to find Loki.

"Dad, where are you?" Cora mentally asks, concern clearly in her voice. Hearing a gasp in her head, Cora's eyes go wide. Peter, Andre, and Olivia come out of the great hall and see Cora looking distraught in the hall.

"Cora, are you alright?" All three of them ask in unison as they approach her.

"Something has happened. You need to come to the barn, immediately." Loki mentally answers, he tries to keep his voice calm, but Cora can hear the panic he tries to hide. Looking at the three people that stand in front of her, Cora pushes past them and runs into the great hall to take the outside shortcut to get to the barn.

"What's the rush Cora?" Ruby asks tauntingly as she steps in front of her and gives her a devious smile.

"Yeah, sit down. Have a bite to eat, after all the birthday girl has to eat too." Derek says as he stands next to Ruby. Cora pushes past them and nearly makes it to the shortcut when Xander and Sadie stand in front of it.

"I don't have time for any of your games, now move." Cora says, Xander and Sadie look at each other, then move out of the way. Cora rushes past the garden and runs down the hill toward the barn, Peter, Andre, and Olivia are close behind her.